Mailing List Archive

AS 2000 4/233
Re: AS 2000 4/233 [ In reply to ]
Did you try an older liveCD?

sometime different versions will work.

----- Original Message -----
From: <mathewt@lucent.com>
To: <gentoo-alpha@lists.gentoo.org>
Cc: "Mathew Thomas" <mathewt@lucent.com>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 3:40 PM
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] AS 2000 4/233

Re: AS 2000 4/233 [ In reply to ]
Hi mathew:

mathewt@lucent.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have an old AlphaServer 2000 4/233 (dual CPU) that I am
>trying to bring up on gentoo and was using the 2005.0 CD
>(used to run NT before)
>
>the problem I am facing is that once the kernel starts
>to boot and recognizes the CPUs, it gets into some
>type of issue and stops
>
>has anyone got gentoo to boot on this HW ? This is also
>known as machine type "Avanti" I believe and the generic
>kernel is supposed ot be Ok from what I gather. I did
>upgrade the SRM firmware to the latest available from
>the HP/Dec site

Mathew, what kernel have you used to boot 2005.0 install cd?

Default one is 2.6 serie kernel, have you tried 2.4 kernel?

To do this, is as easy as change in the handbook instructions the
command to launch kernel load:

"boot dqb0 -flags 1"

"-flags 1" instead of "-flags 0" will use 2.4 serie kernel.