Mailing List Archive

OT What is happening with bitcoins?
Read on theregister that bitcoins are in trouble.

Allegedly mtgox lost $400M maybe related to
transactions.

Are the bugs in bitcoin or just sufficiently
many ones got rooted?

Is bitcoin still alive?

Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
1. The people losing their bitcoins from hacks were amateurs at software engineering.

2. One of bitcoins greatest purported strengths (anonymity) is becoming a severe weakness because you cant easily track down who stole the bits.

3. I dont think any of this is a result of bugs in bitcoin.

Sent from a computer

Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
Bitcoins are doing great actually. =)

Used to be worth 0 a few years back, useless, and now you can use them to
buy some stuff.

GPG: http://is.gd/droope <http://is.gd/signature_>
Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
More to the point, has the transaction malleability issue been fixed that caused Magic’s downfall?
Even though most exchanges just code around it, it’s still kind of a really big issue if it isn’t fixed. :d

Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Pedro Worcel <pedro@worcel.com> wrote:
> Bitcoins are doing great actually. =)
>
> Used to be worth 0 a few years back, useless, and now you can use them to
> buy some stuff.

also providing some awesome information for future uses, c.f.:

http://blog.magicaltux.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MtGox2014Leak.zip
http://89.248.171.30/MtGox2014Leak.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!0VliDQBA!4Ontdi2MsLD4J5dV1-sr7pAgEYTSMi8rNeEMBikEhAs
http://burnbit.com/download/280433/MtGox2014Leak_zip

let me know if you're still short a mirror...

Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
Saying that the malleability thing is an issue with bitcoins is like saying
that sql injection is an issue with mysql.

Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
Well, from my understanding. the transaction malleability issue,
isn't a problem with the protocol itself.
but the specific exchanges implementation of it.
not all exchanges where even effected by it to begin with.
and with japans decision to keep bitcoins completely unregulated.
it's unclear if mtgox stole the coins and used all this as an excuse. or
what.
Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
Julius hit the nail on the head here. Transaction malleability is not some heretofore undiscovered bug in the Bitcoin implementation. It was a known entity long ago, and presumably with the creator(s) awareness. It really isn’t a problem itself; it’s perfectly mitigable with the correct implementations on the exchange’s side. It’s worth noting nearly all of the FUD surrounding BTC comes down to mistakes made with and among exchanges. Exchanges of any kind carry risk, and a new kind of exchange such as this is bound to have some serious question marks in the first many years of existence.

For more on transaction malleability and the technical considerations, see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_Malleability, noting especially the following:
“...this does mean that, for instance, it is not safe to accept a chain of unconfirmed transactions under any circumstance because the later transactions will depend on the hashes of the previous transactions, and those hashes can be changed until they are confirmed in a block.”

The above is a huge note, and is made clear elsewhere as well. However, mistakes around this were still made, and continue to be made today. Live and learn, caveat emptor, etc.

Re: OT What is happening with bitcoins? [ In reply to ]
Be careful about those zip files. I haven't looked, but they may contain
the tibannebackoffice.exe wallet stealing malware. It has appeared in
other MtGox2014Leak.zip files.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/200k30/the_tibannebackofficeexe_executable_is_wallet/

Mark M. Jaycox | 415.436.9333x128
Electronic Frontier Foundation | Become a Member! eff.org/r.a9hS