Mailing List Archive

A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections
Hello list,

We write and publish light-touch inspections of WordPress plugins that
we do for our clients. They are just a guide - we conduct some basic
checks, not a thorough review.

Would plugins which fail this inspection be of general interest to the
list and therefore worth posting, as we would a vulnerability?

Here's an example report:

https://security.dxw.com/plugins/gd-star-rating-1-9-22/

Grateful for a steer...

Harry

--
Harry Metcalfe
07790 559 876

Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:40:51PM +0000, Harry Metcalfe wrote:
> We write and publish light-touch inspections of WordPress plugins
> that we do for our clients. They are just a guide - we conduct some
> basic checks, not a thorough review.
>
> Would plugins which fail this inspection be of general interest to
> the list and therefore worth posting, as we would a vulnerability?
>
> Here's an example report:
>
> https://security.dxw.com/plugins/gd-star-rating-1-9-22/
>
> Grateful for a steer...

That's a very nice summary view, but it'd be more useful in this medium
if you included the lines of code that introduce the vulnerabilities.

Most useful would be to coordinate with authors and MITRE for CVE numbers
for the issues you find to ensure the issues aren't forgotten about or
otherwise ignored.

Thanks
Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
Hi Seth,

There really isn't time for us to do that, in the context of an
inspection. It's a very light-touch assessment.

When we find vulnerabilities we do also report those, after working with
the vendor. And they are more detailed. For example:

https://security.dxw.com/advisories/moving-any-file-php-user-has-access-to-in-bp-group-documents-1-2-1/

Harry

Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
It might be worth speaking with the WPScan team over at http://wpscan.org/

Maybe they can do the hard work for you?

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 08:58:49PM +0000, Harry Metcalfe wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> There really isn't time for us to do that, in the context of an
> inspection. It's a very light-touch assessment.
>
> When we find vulnerabilities we do also report those, after working
> with the vendor. And they are more detailed. For example:
>
> https://security.dxw.com/advisories/moving-any-file-php-user-has-access-to-in-bp-group-documents-1-2-1/
>
> Harry

People behind plugins@wordpress.org can help you with coordination. They can
also disable plugins so that there won't be new installations before maintainer
fixes issues. Note that security@ address should not be contacted when dealing
with plugin issues. It is important to get vulnerabilities fixed in upstream
codebase. I can also help you with communication, verification and such in my
own time.

---
Henri Salo
Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
It is valuable
I concur (# line of code, file names and CVE submission).

I would also suggest to use common classifications (or a mapping) such
as OWASP TOP10, WASC, CWE (CAPEC) for your criterias.

Providing details regarding the methodology or/and tools used for the
assessment would be also valuable.
(i.e. Checklist, RIPS,
https://labs.portcullis.co.uk/tools/wordpress-build-review-tool/ )

Thank you
Best regards

Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
Hi Jerome,

The criteria are here:

https://security.dxw.com/about/plugin-inspections/

Is that what you mean?

I agree using a common classification would be good. I'll have a look
into that.

As mentioned before, though - these are not vulnerability reports. We do
those too:

https://security.dxw.com/advisories/xss-and-csrf-in-user-domain-whitelist-v1-4/

and they are more detailed. Inspections are more about code smell, if
you know what I mean. So there aren't specific files, lines, etc.

Harry

Re: A question for the list - WordPress plugin inspections [ In reply to ]
Yes

btw you can simply submit by email to osvdb, packetstorm, etc.
but I'm pretty sure they will catch it now ;)