Mailing List Archive

smarthost Outsmarting me so Far (Victory at last)
Slavko via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> writes:
> You can even do auth with swaks...

Quite true until now, the last several messages were via
swaks and I sincerely thank the author of that program for making
it available to us. I guess I should apologize for butchering it
up a bit to facilitate using it in a way it really is not meant
to be used but I do like to use perl and was able to make the
slight modification to it in order to talk to this list.

> Did you setup passwd.client file? See
> https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/exim4-config/exim4_passwd_client.5.en.html
>
> You have to uses smarthost's PTR name, eventually with wildcards, eg:
>
> *.example.org:username:password
>
> While i do not suggest it, you can start with full wildcard and then go
> to more precise definition:
>
> *:username:password

Here is where things get interesting. I have used
passwd.client for the past 7 years and that file looked like:

# password file used when the local exim is authenticating to a remote
# host as a client.
#
# see exim4_passwd_client(5) for more documentation
#
# Example:
### target.mail.server.example:login:password
*.suddenlink.net:martin.m@suddenlink.net:BigSecret

To get it to work now, I had to change the last line
credentials slightly as you suggested to try: It now looks like

*:martin.m@suddenlink.net:StillBigSecret

One of the people I spoke with with suddenlink Tech
Support said they had not made any changes. I think the best one
can say is that I think they made some sort of upgrade which, to
some MTA's works the same way but to othersstops things dead in
their tracks. They changed the port one starts with plus do not
appear to use 465 which had worked since 2015 but does nothing
now but briefly open a connection which drops after about 10
seconds. They also changed the use of the wild card so I guess
that's no changes to some people and no worky for others.

Thanks to everybody who had suggestions and I hope this
keeps working for a while now.

Martin McCormick

Re: smarthost Outsmarting me so Far (Victory at last) [ In reply to ]
On 2022-05-11, Martin McCormick via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> wrote:

> # Example:
> ### target.mail.server.example:login:password
> *.suddenlink.net:martin.m@suddenlink.net:BigSecret
>
> To get it to work now, I had to change the last line
> credentials slightly as you suggested to try: It now looks like
>
> *:martin.m@suddenlink.net:StillBigSecret
>
> One of the people I spoke with with suddenlink Tech
> Support said they had not made any changes.
[...]

The log line for your successful exim delivery should include the host
name that exim thinks it delieverd to.

It should continue to work if you put something that matches that hostname
in your passwd.client

--
Jasen.