Mailing List Archive

'Cloned' config not logging in
I have a 'cloned' configuration of exim4 using my hosting's smtp server
as a smarthost. I cannot see where the failing one differs in any way
from ones where sending is unproblematic. Can someone kindly tell me
from the unfreeze debug trace what the problem might be?

Look forward to hearing…

Charles
Re: 'Cloned' config not logging in [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 5:06 PM Charles Johnson via Exim-users <
exim-users@exim.org> wrote:

> I have a 'cloned' configuration of exim4 using my hosting's smtp server
> as a smarthost. I cannot see where the failing one differs in any way
> from ones where sending is unproblematic. Can someone kindly tell me
> from the unfreeze debug trace what the problem might be?
>
> Look forward to hearing…
>
> Charles

You are connecting to mail.technojeeves.com on port 587 and it enforces
ASMTP.
So you must configure a username:password for authenticating before it can
accept mail from you.
ASMTP is usually enforced on ports other than 25.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Re: 'Cloned' config not logging in [ In reply to ]
On 2021-11-06, Charles Johnson via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> wrote:
> --------------756F4DD9543959086F856B82
>
> I have a 'cloned' configuration of exim4 using my hosting's smtp server
> as a smarthost. I cannot see where the failing one differs in any way
> from ones where sending is unproblematic. Can someone kindly tell me
> from the unfreeze debug trace what the problem might be?
>
> Look forward to hearing…
>
> Charles

> SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=2971
> SMTP>> RCPT TO:<goose@debian-live>
> will write message using CHUNKING
> SMTP>> BDAT 1953 LAST
> SMTP<< 550 "Please login first"
> SMTP<< 503 sender not yet given

You're missing the smtp auth data for sending, the standard debian
config puts that in a file called /etc/exim4/passwd.client

likely you'll also need to use a real domain name for the recipient.

--
Jasen.

Re: 'Cloned' config not logging in [ In reply to ]
On 08/11/2021 06:17, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> There seems to be a problem with the server. I am not sure what is
> causing those socket bind() to port 25.....failed. Maybe there is
> another SMTP daemon running other than Exim and causing the chaos.
> If you don't mind, I'd really love to login to that box and check it
> myself.

I'd like to thank you for your help. I've solved the problem now by
simply cloning a working installation