Mailing List Archive

Interpretation of local interface = 127.0.0.1 :::::1
There is a note at section 6.20, list construction, of the documentation.
http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_exim_runtime_configuration_file.html#SECTlistconstruct
It reads:

Note: Although leading and trailing white space is ignored in individual
list items, it is not ignored when parsing the list. The space after
the first colon in the example above is necessary. If it were not there,
the list would be interpreted as the two items 127.0.0.1:: and 1.

The string list in question is

local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1

Without the space after the first colon, it becomes

127.0.0.1 :::::1

Examining the characters in turn, the leftmost pair of colons represent
a single colon. The next pair of colons represent another single colon.
Finaly, the 5th colon is the list separator. Hence I get the 2 items

"127.0.0.1 ::" and 1
where the double quote charactes were added for clarity.

For some reason, the documentation removes the space before the first
colon. Since it is neither a leading nor a trailing white space, I fail
to see why. Can you explain?

--
u34

Re: Interpretation of local interface = 127.0.0.1 :::::1 [ In reply to ]
On 01/04/2021 23:11, u34--- via Exim-users wrote:
> There is a note at section 6.20, list construction, of the documentation.
> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_exim_runtime_configuration_file.html#SECTlistconstruct
> It reads:
>
> Note: Although leading and trailing white space is ignored in individual
> list items, it is not ignored when parsing the list. The space after
> the first colon in the example above is necessary. If it were not there,
> the list would be interpreted as the two items 127.0.0.1:: and 1.

Rephrase that as "The spaces around the first colon are necessary"

> The string list in question is
>
> local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1
>
> Without the space after the first colon, it becomes
>
> 127.0.0.1 :::::1

so becomes this:

127.0.0.1:::::1

Jeremy