Mailing List Archive

More log questions
Hello,

I've got more questions about the Exim main log:

1. The documentation says about delivery logging (ch 53.7):

> When two or more messages are delivered down a single SMTP connection, an asterisk follows the IP address in the log lines for the second and subsequent messages.

How does that look like in the log file? I'm not sure where exactly that
asterisk would appear. I haven't seen one in my logs but it sounds like
it could break my parser.

2. I see log lines like these:

> 2020-12-27 08:02:06 1ktQ44-0074VW-Qi => username@t-online.de <othername@mydomain.de> F=<...> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp ...
> 2020-12-27 17:39:25 1ktZ4m-008ljc-Is => user.name@t-online.de <User.Name@t-online.de> F=<...> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp ...

It's not documented what these two addresses mean. From the second
example I guess that the address in upper case is the one entered by the
sender and the first one is what's really used instead. I don't
understand the first line though.

Which of the two addresses, if present, is the one I should care about?

-Yves

Re: More log questions [ In reply to ]
On 28/12/2020 16:23, Yves Goergen via Exim-users wrote:
>> When two or more messages are delivered down a single SMTP connection, an asterisk follows the IP address in the log lines for the second and subsequent messages.
>
> How does that look like in the log file?

I=[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]*

> 2. I see log lines like these:
>
>> 2020-12-27 08:02:06 1ktQ44-0074VW-Qi => username@t-online.de <othername@mydomain.de> F=<...> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp ...
>> 2020-12-27 17:39:25 1ktZ4m-008ljc-Is => user.name@t-online.de <User.Name@t-online.de> F=<...> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp ...
>
> It's not documented what these two addresses mean.

http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-log_files.html#SECTlogselector
Section 7:

"For ordinary local deliveries, the original address is given in angle brackets after the final delivery address, which might be a pipe or a file. If intermediate address(es) exist between the original and the final address, the last of these is given in parentheses after the final address."

> Which of the two addresses, if present, is the one I should care about?

You haven't defined what you care about.
Jeremy

Re: More log questions [ In reply to ]
> I=[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]*

Is it just for the I field (local interface used) or also for the shown
remote IP address? The quoted text doesn't mention the local interface
at all.

-Yves

Re: More log questions [ In reply to ]
On 28/12/2020 17:10, Yves Goergen via Exim-users wrote:
>> I=[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]*
>
> Is it just for the I field (local interface used) or also for the shown remote IP address? The quoted text doesn't mention the local interface at all.

If you're not logging the local IP, it'll be on the remote IP.

That's actually a bug; it ought to be consistent.
Jeremy