Mailing List Archive

Best practices - distribution groups
Hi all,

I'm looking for best practices for managing  distribution groups. I'm
wanting to avoid my emails being blocked or delayed as SPAM. Sorry to
ask such an open question.

At work I manage a number of groups with maybe 3 thousand members each
without any problems.

I've put the same setup on my personal VPS server and have a group of
only about 150 members. However, I have a lot of problems delivering
emails to the group.

Many of the members are on Yahoo and Gmail. Both services are constantly
sending me temp errors such as

   host mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [188.125.72.74]
   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
   421 [IPTS04] Messages from x.x.x.x temporarily deferred due to
unexpected volume or user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see
https://postmaster.verizonmedia.com/error-codes

As I'm only emailing members who asked to join the group I doubt that
they have had complaints so it must be down to the high volume.

Re: Best practices - distribution groups [ In reply to ]
Am 21.10.20 um 11:42 schrieb Gary Stainburn via Exim-users:

>    host mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [188.125.72.74]
>    Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
>    421 [IPTS04] Messages from x.x.x.x temporarily deferred due to
> unexpected volume or user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see
> https://postmaster.verizonmedia.com/error-codes
>
> As I'm only emailing members who asked to join the group I doubt that
> they have had complaints so it must be down to the high volume.

Your mail provider for your company account will be whitelisted at yahoo
and others to relax rate limits for him.

Your own mailservice is not whitelistet and therefor under rate limit.
You could contact yahoo and fillout the whitelist form,
or don't send out as much mails per second as you do now.  On this list
should enough examples how to rate limit yourself for a specific
external mailserver.

best regards,
Marius