Mailing List Archive

Local EAI addresses ?
I'm trying to set up an exim server with UTF-8 aka EAI local addresses.

I'm using the FreeBSD 4.94 package which has all of the EAI options turned
on, and I can send mail to EAI addresses other places so I think my
overall config is mostly right.

What I would like to do is to have some local UTF-8 addresses that deliver
to local maildirs so I have this fairly ugly router:

my_switch:
driver = accept
local_parts = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/mail/myfake}}
transport = my_mailboxes

and this transport

my_mailboxes:
driver = appendfile
directory = /var/maildir/${local_part_data}/
user = johnl
maildir_format
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
group = mail

The file /etc/mail/myfake contains:

user1: user1
??1: user1

(If the second line is smashed, the it's two chinese characters followed by digit 1)

Sending mail to user1 works fine. Sending mail to ??1 bounces with unknown user:

2020-07-31 19:26:19 1k1ePr-0000iX-8I <= johnl@xn--5nq051n.services.net U=johnl P=local S=431
2020-07-31 19:26:19 1k1ePr-0000iX-8I ** ??1@xn--5nq051n.services.net: Unknown user

Any suggestions? Are UTF-8 local mailboxes supposed to work?

R's,
John
Re: Local EAI addresses ? [ In reply to ]
On 01/08/2020 00:39, John R. Levine via Exim-users wrote:
> 2020-07-31 19:26:19 1k1ePr-0000iX-8I <= johnl@xn--5nq051n.services.net
> U=johnl P=local S=431
> 2020-07-31 19:26:19 1k1ePr-0000iX-8I ** ??1@xn--5nq051n.services.net:
> Unknown user
>
> Any suggestions?

It's not being accepted, so your ACL configuration is relevant. That
could be calling your router, via a recipient verify - but we don't
know what else it it doing. Given the P=local I assume you're doing
command-line/stdin messages sourcing - so the not-smtp ACL is in play,
the daemon is not, and turning on debug using command-line options is
simple. Suggest you do that and look for the place this "unknown user"
decision is made.
Jeremy

Re: Local EAI addresses ? [ In reply to ]
In article <242c9fbf-7797-4224-d752-1d97daf7818e@wizmail.org> you write:
>On 01/08/2020 00:39, John R. Levine via Exim-users wrote:
>> 2020-07-31 19:26:19 1k1ePr-0000iX-8I <= johnl@xn--5nq051n.services.net
>> U=johnl P=local S=431
>> 2020-07-31 19:26:19 1k1ePr-0000iX-8I ** ??1@xn--5nq051n.services.net: Unknown user
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>It's not being accepted, so your ACL configuration is relevant.

I'm using the standard ACL in the config file that comes with 4.94:

Here's a simpler test. I added these two lines to /etc/aliases:

føø: johnl
bar: johnl

Mail to bar works, mail to føø sends me a bounce with this in it:

f\303\270\303\270@xn--5nq051n.services.net
Unknown user

The octal escapes suggest something isn't expecting UTF-8.

I tried sending mail from other systems, same thing, mail to bar works, to føø bounces.

Any suggestions? I looked at the build setup and SUPPORT_I18N is definitely enabled
since I can send mail to EAI addresses on other systems with the necessary MAIL FROM flag.

R's,
John