Mailing List Archive

Double outbound routing for testing purposes
Hi, folks,

I'm moving out some old Exim nodes and moving others in, and it
occurred to me that if I could doubly route traffic from our sending
receivers, I could direct a production stream at a machine in testing and,
so long as I had a freeze filter or something similar to keep mail from
leaving the machine being tested, I could see how the new node would handle
inbound mail.

This seems obvious, but I can't find examples or instructions, so
maybe it's a bad idea. I'd love to understand why--or how to do it, for
that matter.

Thanks,

John A
--
John Adams
Linux/Middleware Administrator | Information Technology Services

Reminder: IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or
in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that
come via email, even from known contacts. For more information or to
report suspicious email, visit IT Security
<http://ualr.edu/itservices/security/>.
Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
On 15/06/2020 23:33, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:
> I'd love to understand why--or how to do it, for
> that matter.

A redirect router, two destinations in the data.
Jeremy

Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
Thank you! I now have the term to search on I didn't have before.

Is this idea of mine a standard practice? It seems obvious, but I had a
hard time searching it out, and I've got decent google-fu. Is there
something I'm missing about it?

Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
On 16/06/2020 11:10, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:
> Is this idea of mine a standard practice?

For testing? I can't comment.

It's common enough for messages to be duplicated; eg. by
a user having a .forward file (and suitable config handling
of them).
Jeremy

Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> I'm moving out some old Exim nodes and moving others in, and it
> occurred to me that if I could doubly route traffic from our sending
> receivers, I could direct a production stream at a machine in testing and,
> so long as I had a freeze filter or something similar to keep mail from
> leaving the machine being tested, I could see how the new node would handle
> inbound mail.
>
> This seems obvious, but I can't find examples or instructions, so
> maybe it's a bad idea. I'd love to understand why--or how to do it, for
> that matter.

I doubly routed *incoming* traffic the first time I replaced our
exim server box - c2000, but not the second time.

Keeping mail from leaving the machine being tested was my main concern;
forwarding and rejecting/bouncing were the main problems, but IIRC
there were unexpected edge-cases too. I hadn't considered a freeze
filter, although that does make it hard to test some things ...

I started by routing just my mail to the new machine, so I knew that
the basic config was close to ready. I may even have moved users
to the new machine a few at a time ...

The second time I replaced the hardware I had more experience with exim
and less available time - more other things to do (rather than a
deadline for the switchover).

As a way of load testing the new setup it was useful.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
I'm a bit slow some days, so let me ask a slightly different question:

Given that we have a small subset of our mail going to an on-prem SMTP
server, and given that mail is sent via manualroute, how would I duplicate
that stream of mail and send it to a second server? The gist of the entry
is:

on-prem-server:

driver = manualroute

domains = ualr.edu

transport = remote_smtp

local_part_suffix = +*

local_part_suffix_optional

condition = {it's complicated and irrelevant}

hosts_randomize = true

route_list = * on-prem-server-1.ualr.edu

no_more

It's trivial to redirect the mail. It's not obvious to me how to duplicate
it.

Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:

> I'm a bit slow some days, so let me ask a slightly different question:
>
> Given that we have a small subset of our mail going to an on-prem SMTP
> server, and given that mail is sent via manualroute, how would I duplicate
> that stream of mail and send it to a second server? The gist of the entry
> is:
>
> on-prem-server:
> driver = manualroute
> domains = ualr.edu
> transport = remote_smtp
> local_part_suffix = +*
> local_part_suffix_optional
> condition = {it's complicated and irrelevant}
> hosts_randomize = true
> route_list = * on-prem-server-1.ualr.edu
> no_more
>
> It's trivial to redirect the mail. It's not obvious to me how to duplicate
> it.

You want *two* routers with the same condition.
The first should set the option "unseen", only the second should set "no_more".
See spec.txt Chapter 3.10 Running an individual router.

Re: Double outbound routing for testing purposes [ In reply to ]
Thanks! That did what I needed. Now to go re-read that section and be sure
I get it.