Mailing List Archive

Block spam at smtp time, but then still forward to users spam box
Good day Guys

Just want to check with the community.

My colleague has proposed that at smtp time, if a mail is deemed as
spam, the server issues a reject code, but then to too accept the mail
and forward the mail the user for incase its a false positive.

His logic is that, that the spammer does not build up a database.

Currently what we do is, if the score is between 5 and 15, just accept
and move the spam to the users SPAM box. Above 15 we out right block.

I am on the fence on this one, hence the reason to pick the communities
brain.

If anyone can share any thoughts or concerns, please can you share.

Many thanks
Brent

Re: Block spam at smtp time, but then still forward to users spam box [ In reply to ]
Am 20.05.19 um 09:41 schrieb Brent Clark via Exim-users:
> Good day Guys
>
> Just want to check with the community.
>
> My colleague has proposed that at smtp time, if a mail is deemed as
> spam, the server issues a reject code, but then to too accept the mail
> and forward the mail the user for incase its a false positive.
>
> His logic is that, that the spammer does not build up a database.

Wenn a spammer sends you spams, he already has you in a database.

There are billions of email addresses on lists in the dark corners of
the web ;)

Best regards,
Marius

Re: Block spam at smtp time, but then still forward to users spam box [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 May 2019, Brent Clark via Exim-users wrote:

> Good day Guys
>
> Just want to check with the community.
>
> My colleague has proposed that at smtp time, if a mail is deemed as spam, the
> server issues a reject code, but then to too accept the mail and forward the
> mail the user for incase its a false positive.

If the spammer retries the user will end up with multiple copies,
possibly dozens, hundreds or even thousands.

> His logic is that, that the spammer does not build up a database.

I've heard that some spammers record which addresses work,
so there could be some advantage in rejecting the mail, but that is
heresay.

A beter place form such discussions might be the mailop list:
there seems to be an open archive at
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailop@mailop.org/info.html

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Cambridge, UK