From: exim-dev-owner@exim.org
To: code@pizzashack.org
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:35:20 +0000
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] problems in eximstats.8

The message's content type was not explicitly allowed

From: Derek Martin <code@pizzashack.org>
To: exim-dev@exim.org
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:35:10 +0900

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:40:00AM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> [.A nitpick - this is actually the wrong mailing list for this sort of
> thing - exim-dev is probably misnamed, since its intended to manage the
> development process as we transition from a Cambridge Cathedral to
> something more Bizarre. exim-users would actually be the right list].

FWIW, this increasingly seems to be a wrong answer. All of the topics
being discussed are relevant to the development of exim, even if not
specifically related to the process; it seems unlikely that the
average user of exim would have any interest in these details. And,
since I joined the list a number of months ago, I have seen no
messages relating to the process which you mention, that I can recall.
My suggestion would be to continue to use this list for
development-related issues, and if need be (which seems not to be the
case) create yet another list for the process you mentioned.

Just my $.02 worth...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/
Re: Fwd: Re: problems in eximstats.8 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 12:58:45AM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> FWIW, this increasingly seems to be a wrong answer. All of the topics
> being discussed are relevant to the development of exim, even if not
> specifically related to the process; it seems unlikely that the
> average user of exim would have any interest in these details. And,
> since I joined the list a number of months ago, I have seen no
> messages relating to the process which you mention, that I can recall.
> My suggestion would be to continue to use this list for
> development-related issues, and if need be (which seems not to be the
> case) create yet another list for the process you mentioned.

The 'charter' for this list[1] is:

| Suitable topics include development work on exim, future directions and
| means to manage exim development. At present it is focused on managing and
| changing the development process, but this focus will change over time.
|
| For the present please post bug reports and imediate development items to
| the exim-users list and not this one.

IMHO that explicitly suggests that non-process related emails don't belong on
this list for the meantime.

It's not the usual -dev/-users split you see in other open source projects, but
I think we ought to respect Philip's and Nigel's wishes on how they want the
lists to be used.

Ollie

Ollie Cook Systems Architect, Claranet UK
ollie@uk.clara.net +44 20 7685 8065
Re: Fwd: Re: problems in eximstats.8 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 04:12:06PM +0000, Ollie Cook wrote:
> The 'charter' for this list[1] is:
>
> | Suitable topics include development work on exim,
[SNIP]
> IMHO that explicitly suggests that non-process related emails don't
> belong on this list for the meantime.

I think the part I left quoted tends to suggest otherwise. Especially
to people who would be new to the list and unfamiliar with its
historical purpose. I think reporting bugs and discussion of fixing
bugs qualifies as "development work on exim" -- probably most
(non-exim) developers would think so too -- and as such the charter
seems to suggest that it is welcome here. If it truly isn't, then I
think the charter, as well as the name of the list, really should be
changed (i.e. a new list should be created, while this one is left
alone, as I said before).

I'll return to lurker mode now... ;-)

--
Derek D. Martin