Mailing List Archive

Documentation build
Any XML experts in the house?

The nicely-complex and fragile house of cards that is
the Exim documentation build no longer functions on
my main build system, thanks to an upgrade from Fedora 31
to 32.

Checking on VMs confirms. F32: broken.

The symptom bites during the build of the website,
presumably generating html from xml: multiple errors
of the form

/tmp/exim-packaging-vswB/tmp/spec.xml:789: parser error : Entity 'ndash'
not defined
messages in its queue – that is, those that it is in the process of

- for several different, but basic-looking, entity types.
ndash, copy and nbsp. According to wikipedia these are known things;
just single glyphs.

The build process then bombs out and wipes its results area.
The die line is:
my $xml = XML::LibXML->new()->parse_file($xml_path) or die $!;

Anyone feel motivated to work on this? It's beyond me, and if
it doesn't get some love then we'll soon be in the situation
of not being able to generate output versions of the docs.

I already can't easily check changes, and it's showing.
Jeremy

Re: Documentation build [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/2020 21:47, Jeremy Harris via Exim-dev wrote:
> /tmp/exim-packaging-vswB/tmp/spec.xml:789: parser error : Entity 'ndash'
> not defined
> messages in its queue – that is, those that it is in the process of
>
> - for several different, but basic-looking, entity types.
> ndash, copy and nbsp. According to wikipedia these are known things;
> just single glyphs.

They're only known in HTML; they're not part of XML by default.

Fedora 31 uses perl-XML-LibXML v2.0201
Fedora 32 uses perl-XML-LibXML v2.0205
The changes are here: https://github.com/shlomif/perl-XML-LibXML/compare/XML-LibXML-2.0201...XML-LibXML-2.0205

Version 2.0202 stops loading HTML entities by default.
Fix here: https://github.com/Exim/exim-website/compare/master...nomis:perl-xml-libxml-2.0202-fix

There are also currently syntax errors in master on GitHub:
https://github.com/Exim/exim/compare/master...nomis:doc-fix

--
Simon Arlott

Re: Documentation build [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/2020 22:33, Simon Arlott via Exim-dev wrote:
> Version 2.0202 stops loading HTML entities by default.
> Fix here: https://github.com/Exim/exim-website/compare/master...nomis:perl-xml-libxml-2.0202-fix

Thanks. Is this a stable interface to the library,
and usable across a range of platforms some of which
will have earlier versions?

It does seem to work on both f31 & f32.

> There are also currently syntax errors in master on GitHub:
> https://github.com/Exim/exim/compare/master...nomis:doc-fix

I know, hence my frustration.
Jeremy

Re: Documentation build [ In reply to ]
On 2020-06-02 23:20, Jeremy Harris via Exim-dev wrote:
> Thanks. Is this a stable interface to the library,
> and usable across a range of platforms some of which
> will have earlier versions?

I think it has been there for a while and the default has only changed
recently. I think it also takes in a hash so it'll accept anything?

--
Simon Arlott