Mailing List Archive

Re: How do I get Ethereal (Windows XP) to start using a new/added RADIUS dictionary.<something>?

On Nov 9, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Justin Aborn wrote:

> I want to decode new vendor specific RADIUS attributes.
>
> I added a new dictionary file to the Windows directory where all the
> other radius dictionary files are (and working fine...):
>
> C:\Program Files\Ethereal\radius
>
> But it's apparently not as simple as that. Ethereal is still not
> decoding the Vendor Specific Attributes specified in the added
> dictionary file.

...and Wireshark probably wouldn't, either. (See

http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

for an explanation of the move from Ethereal to Wireshark - same
software, same developers, different name.)

> There must be some form of "install dictionary" process that I have
> not
> found anything about in help/faq/READMEs/etc.

I presume the RADIUS dictionary works this way so that it matches what
FreeRADIUS does:

The RADIUS dictionary is in the file "dictionary" in the "radius"
directory. That file largely consists of $INCLUDE statements that
include the other dictionary files; if you add a "dictionary.{vendor}"
file to the "radius" directory, you also have to add a $INCLUDE in the
"dictionary" file in that directory.