Mailing List Archive

SNA and Etherreal
Re: SNA and Etherreal [ In reply to ]

> HI
>
> I work on a VMS (Ex Digital & HP - Now Compaq VMS) operating system

You presumably meant "Ex Digital & Compaq - now HP". :-)

> and
> have a SNA trace file in both raw binary format and ASCII Analyzed format.
>
> What do I need to do to get wonderful Ethereal to analyze these captured
> traces?

As the note added to your message by the mailing list software
indicates, Ethereal development has moved to the new Wireshark project -
different name, different Web site, same developers, same software. See

http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

for a brief explanation.

Thus, given that "what you need to do" involves modifying the software,
it's unlikely that Ethereal will ever do it, but it's possible that
Wireshark will be modified to do it.

You would need to find out the file format of the raw binary format, and
add code to Wireshark to read that format - or find out the file format
and get somebody else to add that code, e.g. by posting a description of
the file format, or a link to some place the file format description can
be found, to the wireshark-users or wireshark-dev list.

If a description of the format is unavailable, then if you can supply
multiple raw binary files, and corresponding analyzed files that show
*all* the protocol layers in the file, we might be able to
reverse-engineer it.