Mailing List Archive

Re: [Ethereal-dev] RE: ethereal -G (Protocol and field names)
Biot Olivier wrote:
> I agree with your proposition. In order to make it clearer for all
> protocols available in Ethereal 0.9.9 (plus WBXML decoding), I've created a
> small web page where an example HTML representation of all Ethereal
> protocols and fields can be found in an alphabetical order.
>
> http://home.tiscali.be/olivier.biot/ethereal/

This is very useful to me. I hope it becomes available as part of the
standard documentation. In fact, it would be nice to have on the website.

In reality, thought, is it "all...fields" or just all filterable fields?
(I may be mistaken, but I thought there were some that were displayed,
but not filterable.)

--john
--
John McDermott
Writer, Educator, Consultant
Re: [Ethereal-dev] RE: ethereal -G (Protocol and fieldnames) [ In reply to ]
I tried to make a replacement for the excel portion of the
instructions. The output format is very close...

I pre-wrapped it to make it readable, but it should all be one line.

./tethereal -G
| sed -e 's/\&/\&amp/g'
-e 's/</\&lt/g'
-e 's/>/\&gt/g'
| awk 'BEGIN{ID=0}
{if ($1=="P")
{ID=ID+1;
split($0,fields,"\t");
print ID "\t" $0 "\t" fields[3]}
else
{print ID "\t" $0}}'
| sed -e 's/\t[PF]\t/\t/'
> almost.ethereal-G-sortedXLS-escaped.txt

I think that this basically does everything except step 14.
Can anybody fill in the final missing bits to make it work?

Basically, there's one final processing step, and then just run the perl
script...