Mailing List Archive

RE: [Ethereal-dev] Changes to dfilter2sgml ...
[x-posted to ethereal-doc]

Richard,
SGML can have different "declarations" basically enabling or disabling
various language features. IIRC, there is a way to disable the </>
shorthand.
jade will not tolerate silently any non-conformant SGML, so if there's any
problem,
it will complain.

If you want futher info, I can look up my SGML reference docs.

Vassilii

RE: [Ethereal-dev] Changes to dfilter2sgml ... [ In reply to ]
OK, I've refreshed my memories on the SGML std.

> What I want to know is if </> will be compatible with SGML
> infrastructures
> out there. If it is, then I prefer those closing tags. If

It's compatible with generic SGML infrastructures (those that are able
to parse the DocBook DTD and the associated SGML decl. properly).
It is valid as long as SHORTTAG is enabled in the SGML decl.
(And it is - quoting docbook.dcl:
FEATURES

MINIMIZE
DATATAG NO
OMITTAG NO
RANK NO
SHORTTAG YES
...) So as long as we use a compliant SGML processing framework,
it should work. And if one wants to export it to a more restrictive syntax
(e.g. XML) it is also very easily done automaticaly with tools like
sgmlnorm.

> not, I will have
> to stick with the full tags.

HTH,
Vassilii
RE: [Ethereal-dev] Changes to dfilter2sgml ... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Khachaturov Vassilii wrote:

> [x-posted to ethereal-doc]
>
> Richard,
> SGML can have different "declarations" basically enabling or disabling
> various language features. IIRC, there is a way to disable the </>
> shorthand.
> jade will not tolerate silently any non-conformant SGML, so if there's any
> problem,
> it will complain.

What I want to know is if </> will be compatible with SGML infrastructures
out there. If it is, then I prefer those closing tags. If not, I will have
to stick with the full tags.

Regards
-----