Mailing List Archive

DRBD Trim Support
According to the documentation, SSD TRIM/Discard support has been in DRBD since version 8. DRBD is supposed to detect if the underlying storage supports trim and, if so, automatically enable it. However, I am unable to TRIM my DRBD volumes.

[root@ha50a mysqld]# fstrim /ha
fstrim: /ha: the discard operation is not supported

It looks like DRBD disk is the only thing in the stack that does not have trim enabled...

[root@ha50a mysqld]# lsblk -D
NAME DISC-ALN DISC-GRAN DISC-MAX DISC-ZERO
sda 0 4K 2G 0
??sda1 0 4K 2G 0
??sda2 0 4K 2G 0
??sda3 0 4K 2G 0
??ha50a-root 0 4K 2G 0
??ha50a-swap 0 4K 2G 0
nvme4n1 0 512B 2T 0
nvme2n1 0 512B 2T 0
nvme0n1 0 512B 2T 0
??vg0-ha--001_00000 0 512B 2T 0
??drbd1000 0 0B 0B 0
nvme3n1 0 512B 2T 0
nvme1n1 0 512B 2T 0
nvme5n1 0 512B 2T 0

I can TRIM those drives when I don't have DRBD in the stack.

Any ideas?

[cid:image001.png@01D803E2.22E588F0]<tel:113>

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Re: DRBD Trim Support [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 04:24:54AM +0000, Eric Robinson wrote:
> According to the documentation, SSD TRIM/Discard support has been in DRBD
> since version 8. DRBD is supposed to detect if the underlying storage
> supports trim and, if so, automatically enable it. However, I am unable to
> TRIM my DRBD volumes.
>
> [root@ha50a mysqld]# fstrim /ha
> fstrim: /ha: the discard operation is not supported
>
> It looks like DRBD disk is the only thing in the stack that does not have trim enabled...

I would expect that you will find a log line like
discard_zeroes_data=0 and discard_zeroes_if_aligned=no: disabling discards

So you need to tell DRBD that you know that your storage backend
reliably returns _zeros_ for unmapped blocks, by setting
discard-zeroes-if-aligned yes;
(and hope that is in fact the case)

Lars