Mailing List Archive

thin volume looses sparse during replication
Hello

when performing the initial synchronization of an thin-provisioned LVM2
volume from primary to secondary, I can see data gets written on
secondary and the resulting LVM2 volume, although supposedly "thin",
ends up with 100% used data.

To fix that, I need to `blkdiscard` it (even from the primary, that
works too) after synchronization. And this is an extraordinary painful
step to go through. Because of that limitation, I cannot create many
drbd resources that would over-commit physically available space at
once: I need to sync/discard the resources step by step...

Is there a way to make the initial replication keep being thin (or
sparse, as in file-system terminology, when dealing with zeroes)?

Thank you!

Best regards,
--
Pierre-Philipp Braun
SMTP Health Campaign: enforce STARTTLS and verify MX certificates
Re: thin volume looses sparse during replication [ In reply to ]
Check the section in DRBD user guide, "4.1.8. Skipping initial
resynchronization". I think that's what you are looking for, assuming that
there's no need to preserve the data on existing volumes (i.e you start
with blank LVM volumes).

Re: thin volume looses sparse during replication [ In reply to ]
> Check the section in DRBD user guide, "4.1.8. Skipping initial
> resynchronization". I think  that's what you are looking for, assuming
> that there's no need to preserve the data on existing volumes (i.e you
> start with blank LVM volumes).

Thanks, that helped a lot.