Mailing List Archive

linstor-operator v1.2.0 release
Dear LINSTOR on Kubernetes users!

We released version 1.2.0 of our LINSTOR operator.

The two standout additions in this release are our improved storage
pool configuration and the operators dynamic upgrade ability.

While previous opertor versions could already do some basic physical
device and storage pool configuration, this new release combines both
to create a flexible way to set up your LINSTOR storage. As a
consequence, the old "automaticStorageType" setting is deprecated,
please use the "devicePaths" setting on storage pools instead. For more
information, take a look at the updated User Guide. [1]

The operator is now finally able to update and change the resources it
controls. Updates to the LinstorController, LinstorSatelliteSet and
LinstorCSIDriver resource will trigger updates in all created
workloads. This also means that v1.2.0 is the first version to support
upgrading the operator by running "helm upgrade ...". See the new
upgrade section in our User Guide. [2]

Apart from the two features above, v1.2.0 contains the usual update to
the new LINSTOR version. As a consequence of some of the updated
default images, LINSTOR operator requires Kubernetes 1.17+.

If you are running Openshift (4.4+), you can also check out our new
User Guide chapter here. [3]

The new chart is available from https://charts.linstor.io or by running
"helm repo update".

As always, code is available in our upstream project here. [4]

Best regards,
Moritz

[1]:
https://www.linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/linstor-guide-1_0-en/#s-kubernetes-storage
[2]:
https://www.linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/linstor-guide-1_0-en/#s-kubernetes-upgrade
[3]:
https://www.linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/linstor-guide-1_0-en/#ch-openshift
[4]: https://github.com/piraeusdatastore/piraeus-operator

All changes
-----------

== Added
- storagePools can now also set up devices similar to
automaticStorageType, but with more fine grained control. See the
updated storage guide
- New Helm options to disable creation of LinstorController and
LinstorSatelliteSet resource operator.controller.enabled and
operator.satelliteSet.enabled.
- New Helm option to override the generated controller endpoint:
controllerEndpoint
- Allow overriding the default securityContext on a component basis:
* etcd.podsecuritycontext sets the securityContext of etcd pods
* stork.podsecuritycontext sets the securityContext of stork plugin
and scheduler pods
* csi-snapshotter.podsecuritycontext sets the securityContext of the
CSI-Snapshotter pods
* operator.podsecuritycontext sets the securityContext of the
operator pods
- Example settings for openshift
- LINSTOR controller runs with additional GID 1000, to ensure write
access to log directory

== Changed
- Fixed a bug in pv-hostpath where permissions on the created directory
are not applied on all nodes.
- Volumes created by pv-hostpath are now group writable. This makes
them easier to integrate with fsGroup settings.
- Default value for affinity on LINSTOR controller and CSI controller
changed. The new default is to distribute the pods across all available
nodes.
- Default value for tolerations for etcd pods changed. They are now
able to run on master nodes.
- Updates to LinstorController, LinstorSatelliteSet and
LinstorCSIDriver are now propagated across all created resources
- Updated default images:
* csi sidecar containers updated (compatible with Kubernetes v1.17+)
* LINSTOR 1.10.0
* LINSTOR CSI 0.10.1

== Deprecation
- Using automaticStorageType is deprecated. Use the storagePools values
instead.