Mailing List Archive

drbd-0.7.0.tar.gz
This opens a new series of stable releases.

0.7.0 (api:74/proto:74)
---
Drbd-0.7 was actually forked off from drbd-0.6.1 (actually -pre18).

*) Complete new way of doing resynchronisation. Does no longer need
to do tricks with the nice value, and delivers very good performace.
*) Decoupling of role assignment (primary/secondary) from the direction
of resynchronisation. (Necessary for primary/primary)
*) All "ack" and "ping" packets now go through the msock.
(Prerequisite for primary/primary)
*) Reworked a lot of internals to work with sector_t instead of
blocknumbers. DRBD works now with XFS, and will be complete
immune to changes in the block size.
*) Reworked the tl_ code, the user no longer has to specify the size
for a preallocated transfer-log.
*) Improved metadata; Ao the device size is now stored in metadata,
users no longer need to configure it.
*) Online resizing via "drbdsetup resize"
*) Resynchronisation groups "drbdsetup syncer -g"
*) New (very short!) sys-v init scripts, new userland tool "drbdadm"
*) Changes to the way we allocate memory. We want to survive hard OOM
situations. (partially done, partially ongoing work)
*) Implemented the Activity-Log and the persistent bitmap.

Of course there are a few things that are not as they should be,
the first thing that comes to mind is that a comprehensive
upgrade guide is still missing.

Here is the WARNING for the not so experienced users:

Upgrading from drbd-0.6.x to drbd-0.7.x is not trivial, and should
only be done if you _really_ _understand_ how drbd-0.7.x stores
its metadata.

We will add the missing upgrade guide, updated .spec files, missing
translations (this is a hint to people who can do translations) etc...
in subsequent releases.

The important thing is that from now on roling upgrades will be possible
for all drbd-0.7.x releases.

BTW, next week I am on holiday, and there is no internet on
the sailing boat :)

-Philipp
--
: Dipl-Ing Philipp Reisner Tel +43-1-8178292-50 :
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH Fax +43-1-8178292-82 :