Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
> Although I have not received any updates and dbmail was unfortunately dropped from epel (CentOS), I build my own .rpm and .deb packages and I continue to use it. dbmail is a great product for which I have not found any replacement yet because I use it in a cluster with two servers connecting to a mysql cluster. Try that with any other imap/pop server! Ye can’t!
Well, you can sync dovecot via SSH, that works very well for me since about 3 years.
Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
sync is NOT clustering mate!

Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
> sync is NOT clustering mate!

Well no, but syncing works both ways, so it kinda is. Now you could of course argue that is not active / active but well, it works for my setup.
Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
Am 06.04.20 um 12:15 schrieb Daniel Urstöger:
>> sync is NOT clustering mate!
>>
> Well no, but syncing works both ways, so it kinda is. Now you could of
> course argue that is not active / active but well, it works for my setup.

syncing no matter what direction is *no* shared storage
Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
> syncing no matter what direction is *no* shared storage

you have the data on both sides, so I am happy the storage is not shared as it still works if storage is broken.

Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
Am 06.04.20 um 12:18 schrieb Daniel Urstöger:

>> syncing no matter what direction is *no* shared storage
>
> you have the data on both sides, so I am happy the storage is not shared as it still works if storage is broken.

jesus christ you still confuse clustering with backups
Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
>> you have the data on both sides, so I am happy the storage is not shared as it still works if storage is broken.
>
> jesus christ you still confuse clustering with backups

No I do not, it works as backup and you could actually use as much nodes active as you want, if you would like to. Changes get merged on both sides, there is an elegance to maildir.

But I won’t argue with you, just be happy with MySQL clustering, I moved on to dovecot and it really works like a charm.
Re: dbmail configuration [ In reply to ]
Hello there,

also following the conversation here on the dbmail mailing list.

Have been using dbmail since version 1.x ... so must be around the year
2000?

Actually never found it that hard to find information on how to
configure and run dbmail.
Well you need to know your OS and some basics how linux works.
Of course, there's also some googling involved on how to set up things.
init scripts, systemd, etc
But it always worked out ok.

Someone here asked who is still using dbmail?

Well, I am ;)

But running only a small setup with around 30 domains, 100 mailboxes and
10GB of storage on the database.
So nothing really that massive.

But because of the missing progress on dbmail project I'm actually
thinking about switching to another solution like dovecot.

My installtion runs on an opensure box and with each upgrade on the OS
I'm worried that dbmail will not compile or run anymore because some
libs have newer versions.

For me there's nothing more worse than software which is not maintained
anymore.

But so far all runs fine. Though running dovecot as a proxy in front of
dbmail for SSL/TLS encryption as this never seemed to work with dbmail 3.2

Perhaps dbmail is going to be maintained in the future? Who knows?

But so far dbmail did a great job for the last 20 years and I'm very
thankful for that.

Thanks & greetings
Becki