Cell: +39.331.2488468
Fax: +39.055.71880466
Società del gruppo SC31 ITALIA
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Am 09.02.2015 um 10:07 schrieb Andrea Brancatelli:
> We're working on the implementation of a roundcube "storage" module to
> interact directly with dbmail DB instead of using the IMAP functions.
>
> As of now we can already fetch the boxes, the headers and the message.
>
> It's very rough right now but it's starting to shape up... it's still
> far for usable, but I was wondering if anyone's interested and maybe
> willing to collaborate.

just don't do that

there where fixed a ton of reconstruction problems in the past 2 years
in dbmail which you all have to re-implement and if someone would have
implemented something similar before dbmail-3.0 he never could have
upgraded or start from scratch due the scheme change

in short: what you are doing is completly unsupported
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
The problem is that way faster than passin trough IMAP and probably much
stabler...

Il 09/02/15 10:16, Reindl Harald ha scritto:

> Am 09.02.2015 um 10:07 schrieb Andrea Brancatelli:
>> We're working on the implementation of a roundcube "storage" module to
>> interact directly with dbmail DB instead of using the IMAP functions.
>>
>> As of now we can already fetch the boxes, the headers and the message.
>>
>> It's very rough right now but it's starting to shape up... it's still
>> far for usable, but I was wondering if anyone's interested and maybe
>> willing to collaborate.
>
> just don't do that
>
> there where fixed a ton of reconstruction problems in the past 2 years
> in dbmail which you all have to re-implement and if someone would have
> implemented something similar before dbmail-3.0 he never could have
> upgraded or start from scratch due the scheme change
>
> in short: what you are doing is completly unsupported

*Andrea Brancatelli

Schema31 S.p.a.
Responsabile IT*

ROMA - FIRENZE - PALERMO
ITALY
Tel: +39.06.98358472
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Am 09.02.2015 um 15:22 schrieb Andrea Brancatelli:
> The problem is that way faster than passin trough IMAP and probably much
> stabler...

it is for sure not stabler - don't get me wrong but have no clue how
complex reconstruction of a raw message ends in case of wrapped messages
and you have *completly* to re-invent the wheel by use gmime and work
around all the sepcial cases - i wish you luck with that but don't
expect it to be more stable or even survive schema changes of future
versions

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/commit/?id=8541c7340bc09d1ed49415766afce3b33a8680c2

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/commit/?id=26718bacbd94492c86d02212c220eb9e83af43c9

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/commit/?id=15943a3c9294b943a69fa7db697a8070afb99ee4

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/commit/?id=7b07678e64050e13523368d3f41ccfaac4b558cd

Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Hi,

hey Harald don't be so negative, a second implementation for fetching
mails would be really cool.

I personally would not reconstruct the messages by my own, as Harald says,
but I would fetch directory and message headers directly from db and
message per Imap.

Maybe moving mails from one folder to another would also be faster then
with imap.

If you need help I would like to help you.

regards,

Harald

--
Harald Leithner

ITronic
Wiedner Hauptstraße 120/5.1, 1050 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43-1-545 0 604
Fax: +43-1-786 23 88 26
Mobil: +43-699-123 78 4 78
Mail: leithner@itronic.at | itronic.at
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Am 09.02.2015 um 15:37 schrieb Harald Leithner:
> Hi,
>
> hey Harald don't be so negative, a second implementation for fetching
> mails would be really cool.
>
> I personally would not reconstruct the messages by my own, as Harald
> says, but I would fetch directory and message headers directly from db
> and message per Imap.
>
> Maybe moving mails from one folder to another would also be faster then
> with imap.
>
> If you need help I would like to help you.

I agree with you on this one.
Fetching lists of messages/folders and maybe moving/copying and/or
setting flags is one thing but the message reconstruction itself could
prove really difficult / error prone. Maybe fetch messages through imap
- or try to turn the dbmail message reconstruction part into a library?
-- the latter sounds quite useful in general, but if you decided to go
that way i'd definitely talk to paul first what he thinks about that

Regards
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Please guys, calm down and note that this is one of the central point of
the whole issue.

If roundcube needs just the text/plain or text/html part of a message,
there's exactly no need to reconstruct the whole mime wrap. This gets so
true when you step on attachments and such.

gmime is pretty sloppy and I find it pretty disappointing that it
depends on *wine* on FreeBSD to be installed, so please dont talk me
about gmime.

By the way if one's desperate there's a native php-gmime implementation,
or the more generic mime decoding/encoding function of the php imap module.

Anyhow. We're trying, and we already worked out the message fetching part.

Let's see if we can put out something in the next days.

Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
I am interested in having Roundcube work directly to the database
without any need for dbmail-imapd.

I am using a PostgreSQL 9.1 database with 500k messages and I would like
to take a look at the code and contribute.

On 09/02/15 03:07, Andrea Brancatelli wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> We're working on the implementation of a roundcube "storage" module to
> interact directly with dbmail DB instead of using the IMAP functions.
>
> As of now we can already fetch the boxes, the headers and the message.
>
> It's very rough right now but it's starting to shape up... it's still
> far for usable, but I was wondering if anyone's interested and maybe
> willing to collaborate.
>
> bye
>
> --
> *Andrea Brancatelli
>
> Schema31 S.p.a.
> Responsabile IT*
>
> ROMA - FIRENZE - PALERMO
> ITALY
> Tel: +39.06.98358472
> Cell: +39.331.2488468
> Fax: +39.055.71880466
> Società del gruppo SC31 ITALIA

Sandino Araico Sánchez
http://sandino.net
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
I think, that is very good idea! This opens also the ability to
implement features that IMAP do not cover. I made this with this once
to access the Sieve-Scripts and it worked pretty well. Changing the
password inside Owncloud would also be nice!

Do you have a open git repository? Maybe it is a good idea to base it on
a REST-API! :)

Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
I’m very interested in a PHP interface that directly connects to the database and performs the SQL directly. I am already using Roundcube Framework to access Dovecot mail using IMAP for my next project, but I would probably change to use DBMail if my PHP apps had a clean interface to access the database tables directly and not be restricted to the IMAP view of the database. I could especially use an easy interface for updating/replacing headers and MIME parts directly. My app will use the mailboxes as a type of user datastore in addition to being a tradition mail account for my users. The headers in the messages stored in a folder can hold the “meta data” attributes and an encrypted binary MIME part can be used to hold the “data”.

I don’t have the time in the next few months to contribute to this project, but I do look forward to seeing how it might progress in the meantime. I would especially like the PHP interface to be included in the DBMail distribution and maintained/developed like other parts of the software.

A Roundcube Framework extension is a perfect plugin for this effort since the Framework is already very mature in accessing/manipulating mail messages and further DBMail integration would be a very welcome development.

Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:07:50 +0100
Claas Kähler <claaskaehler@yfx.de> wrote:

> Maybe it is a good idea to base it on a REST-API! :)

Isn't dbmail-httpd meant for that?

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org
Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Sorry, we've been pretty busy lately but we re-started working on the
subj in the latest day.

If anyone wants to contribute or to track development, here's the
reference: https://github.com/skeyby/roundcube-dbmail

NOTE: THIS IS NOT COMPLETED YET.

Actually it's mainly read-only, lacks the search funtionalities and,
obviusly, documentation. Yet if you want to dive in and contribute
you're more than welcome.

I'll post some updates next week as work goes on.

Re: DBMail <-> Roundcube [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I like it maybe the code could be more structured into multiple
files/classes without roundcube dependences but I think it will great when
its ready to use.

thx

Harald