Mailing List Archive

DBMail 2.2.12 released
Re: [Dbmail-dev] DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Will this be coming out in deb format?

Paul J Stevens wrote:

Vapour Forge

Jake Anderson

Project Manager

Mobile: 0412 897 125

Email: jake@vapourforge.com

Web Page: www.vapourforge.com

Your source for custom IT services
Re: [Dbmail-dev] DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
That goes without saying. Hopefully later today.

"Jake Anderson" <jake@vapourforge.com> wrote:

>Will this be coming out in deb format?
>
>Paul J Stevens wrote:
>>

>--
>
>Vapour Forge
>
>Jake Anderson
>
>Project Manager
>
>Mobile: 0412 897 125
>
>Email: jake@vapourforge.com
>
>Web Page: www.vapourforge.com
>
>Your source for custom IT services

Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 October 2009 03:14:32 pm Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've just uploaded dbmail 2.2.12, the latest production release.
>
> Changes:
>
> * Backport IPv6 support
> * Remove generated autoconf files from the release. Please install
> automake-1.9 and run autoreconf -i before running configure
> * Backport the fix for duplicate mailboxes in LIST/LSUB responses
> * Backport for internaldate as UTC
> * Fix for file descriptor leakage
>
> Changelog:
> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/log/?id=v2.2.12
>
> Download:
> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/snapshot/dbmail-2.2.12.tar.b
> z2

It looks like this version broke POP before SMTP. I am not getting an update
on the time stamp in the database when people check their email.

Thanks.
--
Bret Baptist
Senior Network Administrator

Providing Internet Services since 1995
Web Development ~ Search Engine Marketing ~ Web Analytics
Network Security ~ On Demand Tech Support ~ E-Mail Marketing
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 October 2009 10:05:10 am Bret Baptist wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 October 2009 03:14:32 pm Paul J Stevens wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I've just uploaded dbmail 2.2.12, the latest production release.
> >
> > Changes:
> >
> > * Backport IPv6 support
> > * Remove generated autoconf files from the release. Please install
> > automake-1.9 and run autoreconf -i before running configure
> > * Backport the fix for duplicate mailboxes in LIST/LSUB responses
> > * Backport for internaldate as UTC
> > * Fix for file descriptor leakage
> >
> > Changelog:
> > http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/log/?id=v2.2.12
> >
> > Download:
> > http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/snapshot/dbmail-2.2.12.tar
> >.b z2
>
> It looks like this version broke POP before SMTP. I am not getting an
> update on the time stamp in the database when people check their email.

Also looks like the "internaldate as UTC" is causing issues with Mac Mail and
older Outlook clients. They are subtracting the time zone offset from the
received time.

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Bret Baptist wrote:

> It looks like this version broke POP before SMTP. I am not getting an update
> on the time stamp in the database when people check their email.

Bret,

I can't reproduce this. I'm getting updates just fine.

What is your BINDIP setup?

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Bret Baptist wrote:

> Also looks like the "internaldate as UTC" is causing issues with Mac Mail and
> older Outlook clients. They are subtracting the time zone offset from the
> received time.

Does this happen only for pre-2.2.12 inserted email?

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 October 2009 12:29:24 pm Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Bret Baptist wrote:
> > Also looks like the "internaldate as UTC" is causing issues with Mac Mail
> > and older Outlook clients. They are subtracting the time zone offset
> > from the received time.
>
> Does this happen only for pre-2.2.12 inserted email?

It looks like it is happening for post 2.2.12 inserted email. Perhaps only
with IMAP clients, but I was not able to confirm before I rolled back to
2.2.11.

Thanks.

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 October 2009 12:28:41 pm Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Bret Baptist wrote:
> > It looks like this version broke POP before SMTP. I am not getting an
> > update on the time stamp in the database when people check their email.
>
> Bret,
>
> I can't reproduce this. I'm getting updates just fine.
>
> What is your BINDIP setup?

BINDIP = *

Is what I have in there now.

Thanks.

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Bret Baptist wrote:
> On Thursday 08 October 2009 12:29:24 pm Paul J Stevens wrote:
>> Bret Baptist wrote:
>>> Also looks like the "internaldate as UTC" is causing issues with Mac Mail
>>> and older Outlook clients. They are subtracting the time zone offset
>>> from the received time.
>> Does this happen only for pre-2.2.12 inserted email?
>>

> It looks like it is happening for post 2.2.12 inserted email. Perhaps only
> with IMAP clients, but I was not able to confirm before I rolled back to
> 2.2.11.

Jon,

Any ideas here?

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Paul J Stevens wrote:

>> It looks like it is happening for post 2.2.12 inserted email. Perhaps only
>> with IMAP clients, but I was not able to confirm before I rolled back to
>> 2.2.11.
>>

> Jon,
>
> Any ideas here?

Oh thanks for passing the ball to me. What timezone is the server set
for? Also is this a pipe or lmtp insertion? If you do a simple select on
dbmail_phymessage for both a before and after 2.2.12 upgrade messages,
how does that compare to the received header timestamp? They should be
pretty close once the timezone adjustment is made.

The correct operation would be to have the UTC timestamp stored in the
database. When read from the database, it is not adjusted other than to
add +0000 for a timestamp to the reformatted time. The patches
http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=296c72b96ad148a812a0c681271bca52ca10c226
http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=01032167d087d675b92f6cca16527726db06ee84

only dealt with the reading part, not with insertion. So you should not
be having an issue with this change. I will quickly test it out though
to see if there is any difference for me.

-Jon

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
On 10/07/2009 11:14 PM, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> I've just uploaded dbmail 2.2.12, the latest production release.

Attached is cplogs patch for 2.2.12.

Aleksander Kamenik
System Administrator
Krediidiinfo AS
an Experian Company
Phone: +372 665 9649
Email: aleksander@krediidiinfo.ee

http://www.krediidiinfo.ee/
http://www.experiangroup.com/
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 internal date offset wrong [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Feally wrote:
> The correct operation would be to have the UTC timestamp stored in the
> database. When read from the database, it is not adjusted other than to
> add +0000 for a timestamp to the reformatted time. The patches
> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=296c72b96ad148a812a0c681271bca52ca10c226
> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=01032167d087d675b92f6cca16527726db06ee84
>
> only dealt with the reading part, not with insertion. So you should not
> be having an issue with this change. I will quickly test it out though
> to see if there is any difference for me.
>
> -Jon
And the results: (insertion with lmtp)
2.2.11 - Date inserted is wrong, ie local time - thus adding the
timezone offset of the same as that of the insertion yields a valid
internaldate and matching when it was received.
2.2.12 - Date inserted is wrong, ie local time - returned time is then
off by the timezone offset from insertion.
2.3.5+ - Date inserted is UTC - returned time is then correct as we
don't tweak it, just add +0000 to it reformatted.

2.3.5+ uses dbmail_message_new() to create a new message in which the
internal_date is set to the current time, not done via the
SQL_CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.
2.2.x is not having internal_date set, thus the fall back is to use
SQL_CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. So if the database server is not UTC, then time
will be wrong.

I've run out of brain power for tonight to do up a patch. Maybe you can
take a look at the internal date being set on dbmail-message.c line 884
Paul?

-Jon

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 internal date offset wrong [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Feally wrote:
> Jonathan Feally wrote:
>> The correct operation would be to have the UTC timestamp stored in the
>> database. When read from the database, it is not adjusted other than to
>> add +0000 for a timestamp to the reformatted time. The patches
>> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=296c72b96ad148a812a0c681271bca52ca10c226
>> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=01032167d087d675b92f6cca16527726db06ee84
>>
>> only dealt with the reading part, not with insertion. So you should not
>> be having an issue with this change. I will quickly test it out though
>> to see if there is any difference for me.
>>
>> -Jon
> And the results: (insertion with lmtp)
> 2.2.11 - Date inserted is wrong, ie local time - thus adding the
> timezone offset of the same as that of the insertion yields a valid
> internaldate and matching when it was received.
> 2.2.12 - Date inserted is wrong, ie local time - returned time is then
> off by the timezone offset from insertion.
> 2.3.5+ - Date inserted is UTC - returned time is then correct as we
> don't tweak it, just add +0000 to it reformatted.
>
> 2.3.5+ uses dbmail_message_new() to create a new message in which the
> internal_date is set to the current time, not done via the
> SQL_CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.
> 2.2.x is not having internal_date set, thus the fall back is to use
> SQL_CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. So if the database server is not UTC, then time
> will be wrong.
>

> I've run out of brain power for tonight to do up a patch. Maybe you can
> take a look at the internal date being set on dbmail-message.c line 884

Thanks a lot Jon, your triage put me on the right track.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 internal date offset wrong [ In reply to ]
On Friday 09 October 2009 02:19:47 am Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Jonathan Feally wrote:
> > Jonathan Feally wrote:
> >> The correct operation would be to have the UTC timestamp stored in the
> >> database. When read from the database, it is not adjusted other than to
> >> add +0000 for a timestamp to the reformatted time. The patches
> >> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=2
> >>96c72b96ad148a812a0c681271bca52ca10c226
> >> http://git.dbmail.eu/cgit/cgit.cgi/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_2_2&id=0
> >>1032167d087d675b92f6cca16527726db06ee84
> >>
> >> only dealt with the reading part, not with insertion. So you should not
> >> be having an issue with this change. I will quickly test it out though
> >> to see if there is any difference for me.
> >>
> >> -Jon
> >
> > And the results: (insertion with lmtp)
> > 2.2.11 - Date inserted is wrong, ie local time - thus adding the
> > timezone offset of the same as that of the insertion yields a valid
> > internaldate and matching when it was received.
> > 2.2.12 - Date inserted is wrong, ie local time - returned time is then
> > off by the timezone offset from insertion.
> > 2.3.5+ - Date inserted is UTC - returned time is then correct as we
> > don't tweak it, just add +0000 to it reformatted.
> >
> > 2.3.5+ uses dbmail_message_new() to create a new message in which the
> > internal_date is set to the current time, not done via the
> > SQL_CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.
> > 2.2.x is not having internal_date set, thus the fall back is to use
> > SQL_CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. So if the database server is not UTC, then time
> > will be wrong.
> >

> > I've run out of brain power for tonight to do up a patch. Maybe you can
> > take a look at the internal date being set on dbmail-message.c line 884
>
> Thanks a lot Jon, your triage put me on the right track.

To answer Jon's questions:
Timezone: CDT
Insertion: LMTP

I am not able to do a comparison on the message before and after the upgrade.

Sorry for the delay here, do you need any further testing from me?

Thanks.

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 October 2009 12:28:41 pm Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Bret Baptist wrote:
> > It looks like this version broke POP before SMTP. I am not getting an
> > update on the time stamp in the database when people check their email.
>
> Bret,
>
> I can't reproduce this. I'm getting updates just fine.
>
> What is your BINDIP setup?

In addition it is not creating new entries for me either.

Thanks.

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Bret Baptist wrote:
> Also looks like the "internaldate as UTC" is causing issues with Mac Mail and
> older Outlook clients. They are subtracting the time zone offset from the
> received time.

I can confirm this. After upgrade to 2.2.12 MS Outlook 2000 user
complained that incoming email have correct date when they come in and
are unread. However after reading the message the dates change 3 hours
which is the local difference with UTC.

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Aleksander Kamenik wrote:
> Bret Baptist wrote:
>
>> Also looks like the "internaldate as UTC" is causing issues with Mac Mail and
>> older Outlook clients. They are subtracting the time zone offset from the
>> received time.
>>

> I can confirm this. After upgrade to 2.2.12 MS Outlook 2000 user
> complained that incoming email have correct date when they come in and
> are unread. However after reading the message the dates change 3 hours
> which is the local difference with UTC.
>
> Regards,

We have fixed this in the git tree.

Paul,
Can we get a 2.2.12.1 release because of the bugs and missing configure
related files?

-Jon

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Feally wrote:
> We have fixed this in the git tree.
>
> Paul,
> Can we get a 2.2.12.1 release because of the bugs and missing configure
> related files?

Hi Paul,

I've promised at that time to my users that the date issue would be
fixed soon. Is there going to be a new release soon or should I install
from git?

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Aleksander Kamenik wrote:
> Jonathan Feally wrote:
>> We have fixed this in the git tree.
>>
>> Paul,
>> Can we get a 2.2.12.1 release because of the bugs and missing configure
>> related files?
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I've promised at that time to my users that the date issue would be
> fixed soon. Is there going to be a new release soon or should I install
> from git?

I just uploaded 2.2.13.

I won't have time today for formal announcements. debian/stable debs are
forthcoming though.

FYI, this release mainly fixes the UTC offset regression.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Paul J Stevens wrote:
> I just uploaded 2.2.13.
>
> I won't have time today for formal announcements. debian/stable debs are
> forthcoming though.
>
> FYI, this release mainly fixes the UTC offset regression.

Thanks!

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
just installed it ... everything fine so far!

Thanks Paul :)

Re: DBMail 2.2.12 released [ In reply to ]
Daniel Urstöger wrote:
> just installed it ... everything fine so far!

Haven't heard any complaints either.