Mailing List Archive

[DBMail 0001092]: Dbmail - Buffer overflow detected
A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1092
Reported By: gocka
Assigned To:
Project: DBMail
Issue ID: 1092
Category: IMAP daemon
Reproducibility: have not tried
Severity: minor
Date Submitted: 07-Jan-18 11:16 CET
Last Modified: 21-May-18 14:26 CEST
Starting this morning, we started getting notice of buffer overflows. This
was terminating the dbmail-imapd service and we had to start it manually
each time. This was happening for approximately 1 hour and then it
stopped.

- dbmail/imap4d[9922]: *** buffer overflow detected ***: dbmail-imapd
terminated

This is the first time we notice this and this setup has been running for
quite long. No updates or changes have been made on the system.

We are running dbmail 3.2.0 with PostgreSQL 9.3.4

Is there anything we could do to prevent this or get more information on
what is causing it?

Thanks.

(0003802) CozC (reporter) - 21-May-18 14:26
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1092#c3802
Salve,

Try enable full logging in dbmail.conf
file_logging_levels = 511
#
syslog_logging_levels = 511
An track down the issue that way.

In my experience (not buffer overflow) but some other issues were comming
from:
- libzdb (i had to recompile everything) releated to the database driver
- selfsign certificates. It seems that enabling the deamon with a selfsign
certificate, after a while (in my case the deamon stops) The issue was
solved by using haproxy in front of it to handle secure connections and
then everything stopped.

In your case, to somehow mitigate the issue you can install a cron job that
connects to 143 and then restatarts the deamon if connection reset happens

Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change