Mailing List Archive

[DBMail 0001076]: DBMail services dbmail-pop3d OR dbmail-lmtpd remain inactive after start and enable, erratic start on one or the other
A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076
Reported By: Gorbash
Assigned To:
Project: DBMail
Issue ID: 1076
Category: POP3 daemon
Reproducibility: have not tried
Severity: block
Date Submitted: 12-Nov-15 15:48 CET
Last Modified: 27-Nov-15 22:14 CET
As part of testing an updated version of DBMail (a year or so newer than
the one we have in production), we set up a test RHEL server and pulled
version 3.1.16 from an existing channel. Unfortunately, after making sure
that the channel installed all the required libraries and files, and
updating the configuration URI to our test database, we've hit a snag.

The two DBMail services we use are dbmail-lmtpd and dbmail-pop3d. Every
time we try to start both services, one of the following things will
happen:
1. Both services stick at loaded/enabled but inactive, no PID files show
up, and logging in dbmail.err for each service stops at "effective group
shall be [nobody]"
2. One service will become active, but the other will stick at
loaded/enabled but inactive; the active service will have a PID file, but
not the inactive one, and logging in dbmail.err for the inactive service
stops at "effective group shall be [nobody]" while the other passes that
step and completes normally. When this happens, its usually (but not
always) the first service tried that becomes active.

Normally, the default config would produce "effective group shall be
[nogroup]", but RHEL 7 uses nobody/nobody instead of nobody/nogroup.
Nevertheless, I tried changing it back to nobody/nogroup in dbmail.conf,
and got a result matching http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=2, above.
We've also tried using a specific
account, and setting the referenced files to match that account, but in
that case, neither process will become active and no PID file is
generated.

The only other error message I've seen is a "can't drop permissions"
message from the active service in /var/log/dbmail, before the messages
from the inactive service start.

We haven't had this problem on our previous test or production servers, so
I think it might have something to do with RHEL 7. I'm hoping that's not
the case, however, as RHEL 7 dramatically improved the installation of
other services we've added onto this server. Any ideas on what this might
be stemming from?

(0003707) thelounge (reporter) - 12-Nov-15 15:57
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3707
besides that 3.1.16 is missing a important bugfix from 3.1.17 that sounds
more like wrong systemd-units
effective group shall be [nogroup]", but RHEL 7 uses nobody/nobody instead
of nobody/nogroup.

i wonder really why because normally you have a user "dbmail" and a group
"dbmail" instead abuse "Nobody"
effective_user = dbmail
effective_group = dbmail

the units below are working here from Fedora 15 to Fedora 23

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/dbmail-pop3d.service
[Unit]
Description=DBMail POP3 Server
After=network.service systemd-networkd.service network-online.target
mysqld.service
Before=dovecot.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dbmail-pop3d -D
Environment="LANG=en_GB.UTF-8"
Restart=always
RestartSec=1
TimeoutStopSec=5
LimitNOFILE=50000

PrivateTmp=yes
PrivateDevices=yes
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE CAP_IPC_LOCK CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
CAP_SETGID CAP_SETUID

ReadOnlyDirectories=/etc
ReadOnlyDirectories=/usr

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/dbmail-lmtpd.service
[Unit]
Description=DBMail LMTP Server
After=network.service systemd-networkd.service network-online.target
mysqld.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dbmail-lmtpd -D
Environment="LANG=en_GB.UTF-8"
Restart=always
RestartSec=1
TimeoutStopSec=5
LimitNOFILE=50000
PrivateTmp=yes
PrivateDevices=yes
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE CAP_IPC_LOCK CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
CAP_SETGID CAP_SETUID
ReadOnlyDirectories=/etc
ReadOnlyDirectories=/usr

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

(0003708) Gorbash (reporter) - 12-Nov-15 16:29
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3708
--i wonder really why because normally you have a user "dbmail" and a group
"dbmail" instead abuse "Nobody"

Default on the configs is nobody/nogroup, and that's what our prod servers
(which are *not* RHEL 7) use. We also gave an alternate user (user exim /
group exim) a shot earlier, but I can give user / group dbmail a shot if
you think it'll work.

Meantime, since this install of DBmail was provided by a RedHat channel,
we've been using the systemd files that came with the RPM (listed below).
I'm a little hesitant about messing with them too much since they did come
from the channel, so they should have worked as-is.

# cat dbmail-pop3d.service
[Unit]
Description=DBMail pop3 Server
After=syslog.target network.target mysqld.service postgresql.service

[Service]
Type=forking
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/dbmail-pop3d
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dbmail-pop3d

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

# cat dbmail-lmtpd.service
[Unit]
Description=DBMail LMTP Server
After=syslog.target network.target mysqld.service postgresql.service

[Service]
Type=forking
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/dbmail-lmtpd
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dbmail-lmtpd

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

(0003709) thelounge (reporter) - 12-Nov-15 16:45
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3709
i doubt that dbmail 3.1.16 is from the default channel
since it are systemd-units it RHEL7
there is no dbmail at all except EPEL repo

epel repo has 3.2.3 and there was never 3.1.16
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1572

the epel-package clearly creates a dbmail user
____________________________________

%pre
getent group %{name} >/dev/null || groupadd -r %{name}
getent passwd %{name} >/dev/null || \
useradd -r -M -g %{name} -d / -s /sbin/nologin \
-c "DBMail Daemon" %{name}
exit 0
____________________________________

that part of the shipped "dbmail.conf" from the package is simply a bug
when due instal there is a user dbmail created

effective_user = nobody
effective_group = nogroup
____________________________________

that sed-snippet from the rpm-spec just don't work as intended because it's
uppercase and in the meantime the values in the sample config from the
tarball are lowercase, that said about the quality of the package, there is
a reason why i build my own rpm for the last 6 years

# make a couple of changes to the default dbmail.conf file:
# 1. default driver/authdriver sqlite/sql
# 2. effective uid/gid to dbmail/dbmail
sed -i 's/\(^driver\W*=\)\(\W*$\)/\1 sqlite/' dbmail.conf
sed -i -e 's,\(^db\W*=\)\(.*$\),\1 %{_localstatedir}/lib/dbmail/dbmail.db,'
\
-e 's/\(^authdriver\W*=\)\(\W*$\)/\1 sql/'
\
-e 's/\(^EFFECTIVE_USER\W*=\)\(.*$\)/\1 dbmail/'
\
-e 's/\(^EFFECTIVE_GROUP\W*=\)\(.*$\)/\1 dbmail/' dbmail.conf

(0003710) Gorbash (reporter) - 13-Nov-15 16:28
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3710
You're correct, we're on 3.2.3. I didn't see it as an option on dropdown,
so I picked the closest version in the dropdown (which would have been
3.1.17; apparently, I missed and hit 3.1.16 instead).

We're running off of a separate MySQL server as a database instead of
SQLite. Do I still need to change the default driver in that case?

I'm not really seeing any difference after changing the effective user and
group in dbmail.config to dbmail/dbmail. Do the associated files also have
to be assigned to dbmail/dbmail?

(0003711) Gorbash (reporter) - 27-Nov-15 22:14
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3711
We've switched to dbmail/dbmail, but neither dbmail-pop3d nor dbmail-lmtpd
are starting after the change.

Are you sure we should be changing the default driver? We're using a MySQL
server.

Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
12-Nov-15 15:48 Gorbash New Issue
12-Nov-15 15:52 Gorbash Issue Monitored: Gorbash
12-Nov-15 15:57 thelounge Note Added: 0003707
12-Nov-15 16:29 Gorbash Note Added: 0003708
12-Nov-15 16:45 thelounge Note Added: 0003709
13-Nov-15 16:28 Gorbash Note Added: 0003710
27-Nov-15 22:14 Gorbash Note Added: 0003711
[DBMail 0001076]: DBMail services dbmail-pop3d OR dbmail-lmtpd remain inactive after start and enable, erratic start on one or the other [ In reply to ]
[...]

(0003712) Gorbash (reporter) - 03-Dec-15 22:34
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3712
Issue persists, even with the listed changes to our dbmail.conf file, and
all files owned by dbmail / dbmail.

Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
12-Nov-15 15:48 Gorbash New Issue
12-Nov-15 15:52 Gorbash Issue Monitored: Gorbash
12-Nov-15 15:57 thelounge Note Added: 0003707
12-Nov-15 16:29 Gorbash Note Added: 0003708
12-Nov-15 16:45 thelounge Note Added: 0003709
13-Nov-15 16:28 Gorbash Note Added: 0003710
27-Nov-15 22:14 Gorbash Note Added: 0003711
03-Dec-15 22:34 Gorbash Note Added: 0003712
[DBMail 0001076]: DBMail services dbmail-pop3d OR dbmail-lmtpd remain inactive after start and enable, erratic start on one or the other [ In reply to ]
[...]

(0003713) Gorbash (reporter) - 08-Dec-15 16:30
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076#c3713
New dbmail.err logs are as follows:

Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000] Info:[debug]
configure_debug(+79): [POP] syslog [31 -> 31] stderr [31 -> 511]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1015): max_db_connections [10]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[config] config_get_timeout(+445): timeout [300] seconds
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[config] config_get_timeout(+456): login_timeout [60] seconds
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1024): no value for SOCKET in config
file
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1026): socket []
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1047): binding to PORT [110]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1076): binding to IP [0.0.0.0]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1082): no value for BACKLOG in config
file. Using default value [128]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1086): POP backlog [128]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1093): not resolving client IP
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1102): Disabling POP-before-SMTP
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1109): Disabling POP Authentication
logging
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1119): effective user shall be [dbmail]
Dec 08 09:26:53 oexdev1 dbmail-pop3d[56241]: [0x7fcf2fd6b000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1128): effective group shall be
[dbmail]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000] Info:[debug]
configure_debug(+79): [LMTP] syslog [31 -> 31] stderr [31 -> 511]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1015): max_db_connections [10]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[config] config_get_timeout(+445): timeout [300] seconds
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[config] config_get_timeout(+456): login_timeout [60] seconds
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1024): no value for SOCKET in config
file
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1026): socket []
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1047): binding to PORT [24]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1076): binding to IP [0.0.0.0]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1082): no value for BACKLOG in config
file. Using default value [128]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1086): LMTP backlog [128]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1093): not resolving client IP
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1100): no value for LMTP_BEFORE_SMTP in
config file
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1102): Disabling LMTP-before-SMTP
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1109): Disabling LMTP Authentication
logging
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1119): effective user shall be [dbmail]
Dec 08 09:26:57 oexdev1 dbmail-lmtpd[56258]: [0x7fe25269f000]
Debug:[server] server_config_load(+1128): effective group shall be
[dbmail]

It looks like it cuts off at the same spot as with nobody/nobody. Could it
be a problem with the dbmail account that should have been generated with
it?

Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
12-Nov-15 15:48 Gorbash New Issue
12-Nov-15 15:52 Gorbash Issue Monitored: Gorbash
12-Nov-15 15:57 thelounge Note Added: 0003707
12-Nov-15 16:29 Gorbash Note Added: 0003708
12-Nov-15 16:45 thelounge Note Added: 0003709
13-Nov-15 16:28 Gorbash Note Added: 0003710
27-Nov-15 22:14 Gorbash Note Added: 0003711
03-Dec-15 22:34 Gorbash Note Added: 0003712
08-Dec-15 16:30 Gorbash Note Added: 0003713