Mailing List Archive

reaching end-users mobile phones calendars
Dear DAViCal community,

thanks for this amazing project.

We are using DAViCal 1.1.10-1 on Debian GNU/Linux 11 to host our own
calendars. However we have the need to make them available on end-users
Android phones calendars.
The most convenient way for our users would be to add them through the
google calendar facility (using "Other calendars, add From url").

However, when we add https://server/public.php/user/calendar/?ticket=pin
as an example, the calendar content is not loaded through the google
calendar facility, for unknown reason. As a side note ours calendars
load fine on Thunderbird agenda.

Do you know if this feature is supported, then it might be an issue
specific to our calendar content, or maybe the the google calendar
facility does not support the DAViCal ical4 implementation.

If not possible through google calendar facility, what would be the
recommended convenient ways for our calendars to reach end-users mobile
phone calendars ?

Cheers

--
David SAUVAGE

https://adalabs.com

Re: reaching end-users mobile phones calendars [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/22 18:36, David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd wrote:

> Dear DAViCal community,
>
> thanks for this amazing project.
>
> We are using DAViCal 1.1.10-1 on Debian GNU/Linux 11 to host our own
> calendars. However we have the need to make them available on
> end-users Android phones calendars.
> The most convenient way for our users would be to add them through the
> google calendar facility (usingĀ  "Other calendars, add From url").
>
> However, when we add
> https://server/public.php/user/calendar/?ticket=pin as an example, the
> calendar content is not loaded through the google calendar facility,
> for unknown reason. As a side note ours calendars load fine on
> Thunderbird agenda.
>
> Do you know if this feature is supported, then it might be an issue
> specific to our calendar content, or maybe the the google calendar
> facility does not support the DAViCal ical4 implementation.
>
> If not possible through google calendar facility, what would be the
> recommended convenient ways for our calendars to reach end-users
> mobile phone calendars ?
>
> Cheers

I use https://f-droid.org/fr/packages/at.bitfire.davdroid/ without
problem...

Re: reaching end-users mobile phones calendars [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

On Mon, 2022-10-17 at 20:36 +0400, David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd wrote:

> We are using DAViCal 1.1.10-1 on Debian GNU/Linux 11 to host our own
> calendars. However we have the need to make them available on end-
> users
> Android phones calendars.

You need to use a CalDAV sync agent on your phones. Some are listed
here:

https://wiki.davical.org/index.php?title=CalDAV_Clients/Android

At work we now recommend DAVx5. Which I note is missing from that page.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |
Re: reaching end-users mobile phones calendars [ In reply to ]

On 2022-10-18 08:43, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> At work we now recommend DAVx5. Which I note is missing from that
> page.

many thanks Pierre and Andrew for your feedbacks.
I successfully tried F-Droid/DAVx5 which is great.

However, I need the CalDAV account to be read-only on the mobile phone
account.
Although it is possible through the "Force read-only" account on the
end-user side, I need to enforce it on the server side to avoid any
misuses on the end-user side.

For example, we would have for the same DAViCal principal :
1. one CalDAV account with read/write priviledges to manage the calendar
and,
2. another CalDAV account that is read-only to be used by the DAVx5
bridge on the mobile phone, forcing the read-only capability direectly
from the server

Can we have multiple CalDAV accounts (with different privileges) for the
same DAViCal principal ?
Could I use a read-only 'Access Tickets'
(https://server/public.php/user/calendar/?ticket=pin) with the DAVx5
bridge ? I tried using the 'Advanced login' section without success.

Cheers

--
David SAUVAGE

https://adalabs.com

Re: reaching end-users mobile phones calendars [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

On Wed, 2022-10-19 at 23:41 +0400, David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd wrote:

> Can we have multiple CalDAV accounts (with different privileges) for
> the
> same DAViCal principal ?
> Could I use a read-only 'Access Tickets'
> (https://server/public.php/user/calendar/?ticket=pin) with the DAVx5
> bridge ? I tried using the 'Advanced login' section without success.

I have to admit that I haven't used the Access Tickets myself, but you
should be able to.

Alternatively you can create another principal - i.e., $useruser-ro -
which only has Read access to the collection of $user.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: reaching end-users mobile phones calendars [ In reply to ]
On 2022-10-20 00:26, Andrew Ruthven wrote:

> Alternatively you can create another principal - i.e., $useruser-ro -
> which only has Read access to the collection of $user.

This worked like a charm !

Many thanks Andrew

--
David SAUVAGE