Mailing List Archive

Managed to Delete Address book, Re-Created but won't Sync
Hi,

While playing around with Android phone yesterday I believe that I
somehow managed to delete (believe it was via DAVx5 application used to
sync from server) my address book on the DAViCal server which was
verified checking via the admin interface which didn't show an entry for
/username/addresses/ under the Principal Collections section, so I
simply just created a new entry which I marked as 'Is an Addressbook'
and with 'Default Privileges', so it looks similar to the other active
working users when comparing the Principal Collections. So far neither
two phone or Thunderbird complaints about missing address book but
neither of the clients seem to be able to sync to the server and doesn't
get any error message. Checking the DAViCal error log it shows a few
entries from yesterday evening but no new error entries when checking
the error log. Here is what I have from the error log:

davical: LOG: :Response status 405 for GET /caldav.php/username/
davical: LOG: :***************** Response Header ****************
davical: LOG: headers:-->Server: 1.1
davical: LOG: headers:-->DAV: 1, 2, 3, access-control, calendar-access,
calendar-schedule
davical: LOG: headers:-->DAV: extended-mkcol, bind, addressbook,
calendar-auto-schedule, calendar-proxy
davical: LOG: headers:-->Allow:
PROPFIND,PROPPATCH,OPTIONS,MKCOL,REPORT,DELETE
davical: LOG: headers:-->X-DAViCal-Version: DAViCal/1.1.10; DB/1.3.3
davical: LOG: headers:-->Content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
davical: LOG: :******************** Response ********************
davical: LOG: response:-->GET requests on collections are only supported
for calendars.

Currently don't know what else to look for and any direction would be
appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kim
Re: Managed to Delete Address book, Re-Created but won't Sync [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Well, since I never figured out what to tweak to fix this issue, the
workaround was to create an enterally new account and then copy the
content from the old address book and calendar to the new setup. But,
still would be of interest to understand what went wrong for future cases.

Follow-up question on this topic, but is it possible to block that
calendars and address books can be deleted by the user via third part
components?

//Kim

Re: Managed to Delete Address book, Re-Created but won't Sync [ In reply to ]
Hey Kim,

That sounds like a bit of nasty edge case. I haven't come across a
problem like that. I heard of people accidentally deleting collections
using the macOS client.

I don't believe we currently support denying deleting collections.

Cheers,
Andrew

On Mon, 2022-10-17 at 20:21 +0200, Kim Haverblad via Davical-general
wrote:
> Hi,
> Well, since I never figured out what to tweak to fix this issue, the
> workaround was to create an enterally new account and then copy the
> content from the old address book and calendar to the new setup. But,
> still would be of interest to understand what went wrong for future
> cases.
> Follow-up question on this topic, but is it possible to block that
> calendars and address books can be deleted by the user via third part
> components?
> //Kim
> On 2022-10-15 11:14, Kim Haverblad via Davical-general wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > While playing around with Android phone yesterday I believe that I
> > somehow managed to delete (believe it was via DAVx5 application
> > used to sync from server) my address book on the DAViCal server
> > which was verified checking via the admin interface which didn't
> > show an entry for /username/addresses/ under the Principal
> > Collections section, so I simply just created a new entry which I
> > marked as 'Is an Addressbook' and with 'Default Privileges', so it
> > looks similar to the other active working users when comparing the
> > Principal Collections. So far neither two phone or Thunderbird
> > complaints about missing address book but neither of the clients
> > seem to be able to sync to the server and doesn't get any error
> > message. Checking the DAViCal error log it shows a few entries from
> > yesterday evening but no new error entries when checking the error
> > log. Here is what I have from the error log:
> > davical: LOG: :Response status 405 for GET /caldav.php/username/
> > davical: LOG: :***************** Response Header ****************
> > davical: LOG: headers:-->Server: 1.1
> > davical: LOG: headers:-->DAV: 1, 2, 3, access-control, calendar-
> > access, calendar-schedule
> > davical: LOG: headers:-->DAV: extended-mkcol, bind, addressbook,
> > calendar-auto-schedule, calendar-proxy
> > davical: LOG: headers:-->Allow:
> > PROPFIND,PROPPATCH,OPTIONS,MKCOL,REPORT,DELETE
> > davical: LOG: headers:-->X-DAViCal-Version: DAViCal/1.1.10;
> > DB/1.3.3
> > davical: LOG: headers:-->Content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> > davical: LOG: :******************** Response ********************
> > davical: LOG: response:-->GET requests on collections are only
> > supported for calendars.
> > Currently don't know what else to look for and any direction would
> > be appreciated.
> > Kind Regards,
> > Kim

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |
Catalyst Cloud: | This space intentionally left blank
https://catalystcloud.nz |
Re: Managed to Delete Address book, Re-Created but won't Sync [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

Let me know if there is anything else that I can provide if you want to
look deeper into this, but DavX5 (https://www.davx5.com/) has the option
to both create and delete address book and calendar, and when deleting
the calendar I believed that I actually deleted the account setup within
DavX5 and a bit surprised that it was possible. So should be easy to
replicate for testing.

//Kim