Mailing List Archive

Web clients
We have been using DAViCal for several years. We currently have v1.1.9.2
running on Ubuntu 20.04 on a publicly accessible server installed from
the Ubuntu repositories.
For several years we have been using AgenDAV 2.2.0 installed on an
intranet server to give our employees web access to the calendars. I
modified it slightly to accept HTTP authentication, and wrote a script
that passes it the username and password from the intranet user's login
so they don't have to log in a second time. We are in the process of
replacing the intranet server with a server running Ubuntu 20.04 and php
8.1, and I learned there are more issues with bringing AgenDAV to php
8.1 then I want to take the time to solve.
First question: Can anyone recommend a web client that is being used on
up-to-date LAMP installs that gives read/write access to DAViCal (and
preferably is still in development)?
I have most recently been testing CalDavZAP. Initially I installed it on
the same server and in the same directory with DAViCal. It worked out of
the box with globalNetworkCheckSettings. I then moved to
globalNetworkAccountSettings hoping I could pass the username and
password to the auth php script from my external script. For some
reason, still using the built-in login screen, it broke - I got errors
about fsockopen timing out - might be a firewall issue on that server. I
then moved CalDavZAP to the new intranet server, where I could initiate
an fsockopen from a php prompt. However, now I'm attempting to solve
Cross-Origin errors. I added the proper headers to the DAViCal apache
config file, but apache is returning 401 to the OPTIONS request that
CalDavZAP sends for CORS preflight, with the text "Please log in for
access to this system." Is there a way to get DAViCal to give a proper
answer to an unauthenticated OPTIONS request, or what else might need
done to get CalDavZAP working cross-domain with DAViCal?
--
Michael Crider, IT Supervisor
Howell-Oregon Electric Cooperative

Re: Web clients [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:00:54 -0500, Michael Crider - HOEC
<mcrider@hoecoop.org> wrote:

> First question: Can anyone recommend a web client that is being used on
> up-to-date LAMP installs that gives read/write access to DAViCal (and
> preferably is still in development)?

For a long time I've been wondering the same. I investigated several web
clients (even though I'd prefer a native client) and eventually settled on
Nextcloud. Its web client is nice, full functional, but it works with the
Nextcloud server only, and is **not** a CalDAV client. Nextcloud does have
its own CalDAV server so strict CalDAV clients can use it too.

In my current setup I have a DAViCal and a Nextcloud CalDAV server that are
synchronized using vdirsyncer. Some clients use the DAViCal server, other
clients use the Nexcloud CalDAV server. Android clients can use either, via
the DAVx5 connector.

There is no particular reason I still need DAViCal... Lazyness, maybe. A
couple of years ago the Nextcloud client still needed work but nowadays it
is mature and stable. As far as my needs go, that is. YMMV.

I would love to have a Nextcloud type web client for DAViCal but it doesn't
seem to exist. CalDAVZap is the best, but it is virtually unmaintained even
though Ján Máté does his best to help.

-- Johan