Mailing List Archive

DAViCal inter-operation
Hello,

I am hosting a CalDAV-Server (Sogo) for ~20 users.
Over many years we experience a number of Calendar issues, and are looking for alternatives.

There are a number of different clients and one issue may be incompatibilities.
There also are a lot of invitations from external parties.

Sogo largely appears to be a store for iCal files, so errors in the VEVENTs may simply get forwarded to the receiver.
Naively, a Server designed to correct errors, or reject iCal files, before adding them to its database could help to resolve our issues.

Now DAViCal is advertised with
"
is committed to inter-operation with the widest possible CalDAV client software.
"

I am interested to understand how that claim is backed by the DAViCal server design.
Does DAViCal do error correction on broken iCal files,
or only adjust the CalDAV client-server communication to the needs of the different clients?

How is it different from other CalDAV servers?

Thanks!

Re: DAViCal inter-operation [ In reply to ]
Hey,

Generally speaking DAViCal has code to handle various interesting
behaviours for a number of clients and regression tests to ensure that
we handle those quirks.

We are also accepting and forgiving of iCal. The iCal received from the
clients is retained and is always returned when requested. Some other
CalDAV servers generate the iCal on demand, so what is retrieved may
not be what was stored.

Cheers,
Andrew

On Sat, 2021-11-20 at 08:41 +0100, hohenegger@web.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am hosting a CalDAV-Server (Sogo) for ~20 users.
> Over many years we experience a number of Calendar issues, and are
> looking for alternatives.
>
> There are a number of different clients and one issue may be
> incompatibilities.
> There also are a lot of invitations from external parties.
>
> Sogo largely appears to be a store for iCal files, so errors in the
> VEVENTs may simply get forwarded to the receiver.
> Naively, a Server designed to correct errors, or reject iCal files,
> before adding them to its database could help to resolve our issues.
>
> Now DAViCal is advertised with
> "
> is committed to inter-operation with the widest possible CalDAV
> client software.
> "
>
> I am interested to understand how that claim is backed by the DAViCal
> server design.
> Does DAViCal do error correction on broken iCal files,
> or only adjust the CalDAV client-server communication to the needs of
> the different clients?
>
> How is it different from other CalDAV servers?
>
> Thanks!

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |
Catalyst Cloud: | This space intentionally left blank
https://catalystcloud.nz |
Re: DAViCal inter-operation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

thanks for sharing your insights!
Can you give examples for servers generating iCal in demand?
Won't that confuse clients if the server modifies an iCal it created?

Greetings