Mailing List Archive

DAViCal performance tuning recommendations
Are there any recommendations for performance tuning with DAViCal and
specific databases?

There are a lot of bug reports[1] about performance from users of
Mozilla Calendar / Lightning. It is not always clear if they are
server-side or client-side issues.

To kick-start a troubleshooting checklist:

- enable client-side logging, for example, in Thunderbird, press
Ctrl-Shift-J to display Error Console, you can see each request to
DAViCal and how long it takes in milliseconds.

- on the web server, enable logging of request duration.

- on the web server, check error.log

- on the web server, take a packet capture (tcpdump), open it in
Wireshark and look at the timestamps of the client request compared to
the timestamp of database requests

- can DAViCal provide server-side logging of handling times for each
step when servicing a request?

- on the database, enable logging of query duration

- if queries are slow, on the database server, use tools like ioping and
iostat to check performance

- if queries are slow, on the database server, use the EXPLAIN statement
or similar tools to check the query performance

Can anybody suggest other things to check? Could this be the foundation
for a wiki page or some other document about the topic for DAViCal
operators?

Regards,

Daniel

1.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=15556972&classification=Client%20Software&classification=Developer%20Infrastructure&classification=Components&classification=Server%20Software&classification=Other&query_format=advanced&short_desc=slow&product=Calendar&resolution=---&component=Alarms&component=Build%20Config&component=Calendar%20Frontend&component=Dialogs&component=E-mail%20based%20Scheduling%20%28iTIP%2FiMIP%29&component=General&component=ICAL.js%20Integration&component=Import%20and%20Export&component=Internal%20Components&component=Lightning%20Only&component=Lightning%3A%20SeaMonkey%20Integration&component=OS%20Integration&component=Preferences&component=Printing&component=Provider%3A%20CalDAV&component=Provider%3A%20GData&component=Provider%3A%20ICS%2FWebDAV&component=Provider%3A%20Local%20Storage&component=Provider%3A%20WCAP&component=Security&component=Sunbird%20Only&component=Tasks&component=Website&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr

Re: DAViCal performance tuning recommendations [ In reply to ]
Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 17:25 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Are there any recommendations for performance tuning with DAViCal
> and specific databases?

Not that I'm aware of. One thing we certainly noticed was not enough
RAM/CPUs on the virtual server that we run DAViCal. Bumping those
helped!

[snip]
> Can anybody suggest other things to check?  Could this be the
> foundation
> for a wiki page or some other document about the topic for DAViCal
> operators?

I think this would be really useful, please see:
http://wiki.davical.org/index.php/Editing_the_Wiki

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |