su postgres -c ...

to create the database, nothing works because the postgres user has no
permissions to read or execute the necessary files.

I have worked around this by putting an ACL on both trees (recursively),
but the instructions might need to say something about this issue.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Re: File permissions for creating DAViCal database [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2020-11-20 at 17:03 +0100, Eric wrote:
> The installation instructions
> https://www.davical.org/installation.php
> specify setting permissions for the /usr/share/awl and
> /usr/share/davical
> trees. However, when I find that I need to use
>
> su postgres -c ...
>
> to create the database, nothing works because the postgres user has
> no
> permissions to read or execute the necessary files.
>
> I have worked around this by putting an ACL on both trees
> (recursively),
> but the instructions might need to say something about this issue.

It looks to me like the chmod commands should be:

find ./ -type d -exec chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx '{}' \;
find ./ -type f -exec chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r '{}' \;

And that'd resolve the issue about postgres not being able to read the
files. I hadn't encountered this issue before because I've always used
the Debian .debs or I'm running from a git checkout.

Who can edit the website?

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |

Re: File permissions for creating DAViCal database [ In reply to ]
On 24 Nov 2020, at 2:43, Andrew Ruthven wrote:

> Who can edit the website?

The DAViCal website? Do a merge request at
https://gitlab.com/davical-project/website

-Jim

Re: File permissions for creating DAViCal database [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I already corrected the passage and committed the changes but I can't
quite remember how the repository was linked to the webserver. I thought
we had a cron job installed to pull changes from master to apache but so
far the website hasn't updated.. tuxick did that for us, if I remember
correctly (which I may not)..

Paul

On 24.11.20 15:25, Jim Fenton wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2020, at 2:43, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
>
>> Who can edit the website?
>
> The DAViCal website? Do a merge request at
> https://gitlab.com/davical-project/website
>
> -Jim

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail
in error) please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this
e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder recht-
lich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der
richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das uner-
laubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe
dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

*Gorilla Computing*-- Doin' IT the right way.

*Please think GREEN before printing this e-mail!*
Re: File permissions for creating DAViCal database [ In reply to ]
You’re fast, Paul…I hadn’t noticed that you already committed the
change when I replied!

IIRC, the website update is driven by a cron job rather than a CI hook
or something. So give it a day or so and if it doesn’t change, we
should reach out to tuxick to see if he needs to do something manually.

-Jim

Re: File permissions for creating DAViCal database [ In reply to ]
Thank you Paul and Jim, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew