Mailing List Archive

Dependencies of davical
Under debian, wanted to install davical packge, but I see it requires
full posgresql...

It is very surprising as usually pakages (such as roudcube) need only
php-pgsql which does not require postgresql-9.6 postgresql-client
postgresql-client-9.6 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common, etc...

Is there an explanation..?

Re: Dependencies of davical [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 23:30:17 +0200, Pierre Couderc <pierre@couderc.eu> wrote:
> Under debian, wanted to install davical packge, but I see it requires
> full posgresql...
>
> It is very surprising as usually pakages (such as roudcube) need only
> php-pgsql which does not require postgresql-9.6 postgresql-client
> postgresql-client-9.6 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common, etc...
>
> Is there an explanation..?

Roundcube is a package that uses an already-existing data store, DAViCal
needs its own data store to put the calendars in, i.e. a Postgresql
database, so it does need the server part (I know nothing about the Debian
packaging, it may be broken into more parts than strictly necessary).

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Re: Dependencies of davical [ In reply to ]
Hi Pierre,

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 11:30:17PM +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> Under debian, wanted to install davical packge, but I see it requires full
> posgresql...
>
> It is very surprising as usually pakages (such as roudcube) need only
> php-pgsql which does not require postgresql-9.6 postgresql-client
> postgresql-client-9.6 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common, etc...
>
> Is there an explanation..?

the davical package in Debian DEPENDS on php-pgsql and postgresql-client
only, so you don't have to install a postgres server on the same
machine. However it RECOMMENDS postgresql, so that by default, all
necessary parts are present after installation.

Is that not how it should be?

Florian

Re: Dependencies of davical [ In reply to ]
On 09/07/2017 10:24 AM, Florian Schlichting wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 11:30:17PM +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>> Under debian, wanted to install davical packge, but I see it requires full
>> posgresql...
>>
>> It is very surprising as usually pakages (such as roudcube) need only
>> php-pgsql which does not require postgresql-9.6 postgresql-client
>> postgresql-client-9.6 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common, etc...
>>
>> Is there an explanation..?
> the davical package in Debian DEPENDS on php-pgsql and postgresql-client
> only, so you don't have to install a postgres server on the same
> machine. However it RECOMMENDS postgresql, so that by default, all
> necessary parts are present after installation.
>
> Is that not how it should be?

Mmm, sorry, with due respect, I do no think so... ;)
I have not finished my tests with DAViCal.
But in the case of roundcube which (in my case) uses Postgresql, *only*
php-pgsql is necessary.
No postgresql-xxxxx package is needed (even postgresql-client is not
necessary!).
My idea is that it is not the function of Roundcube debian maintainer to
install the full database.
(I shall replace the word "Roundcube" with the word "DAViCal" above when
I have finished my tests)
And I suppose that it is not the idea of DAViCal team to RECOMMEND
Postgresql DB on the SAME computer.
Currently my Postgresql server includes 17 databases !!

I am installing DAViCal in a LXC based structure with groups of
functions separated in various containers, because I am tired of update
of distribution which results in some functions unavailable for a few
days. Now I update 1 container after another, and clone it before
modifying it to easily turn back in case of disaster !

And thanks all for Davical, which is the heart of my solution with
CalDavZAP CardDavMATE, and DAVdroid...

Re: Dependencies of davical [ In reply to ]
On 09/07/2017 10:24 AM, Florian Schlichting wrote:

> the davical package in Debian DEPENDS on php-pgsql and postgresql-client
> only, so you don't have to install a postgres server on the same
> machine. However it RECOMMENDS postgresql, so that by default, all
> necessary parts are present after installation.

I have checkd and I have a functional installation of davical (and
caldavzap...) where only php-pgsql (php5-pgsql in my case) is necessary.
No postgresql client or server is needed. I suppose the php-pgsql
interfaces directly to the server on 5432 port.
I suggest the removal of unneeded packages.
It is the work of sysadmin to decaide where he wants to install its
posgresql db.