Mailing List Archive

enable_scheduling docs?
Hi,

I've been trolling the wiki, and I am unable to find very much about
enable_scheduling and, most importantly, what exactly it is I'm
supposed to have configured to make this work reliably (? at all?).
It appears a significant thing is to enable DKIM, but I can't tell
whether that's DKIM for the parent domain, for the domain name itself,
or what all. Also, how does this relate to the DKIM keys of the
relying domain?

In addition, it isn't clear to me how to configure the keys. My mail
server is a separate box, so the keys won't be handy (unless I copy
them around).

What I'm _actually_ trying to do is to get events from a foreign but
mostly terrible caldav server and put them in a local calendar, which
I can then do useful things with. So clues that I'm chasing the wrong
rabbit are also welcome.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com

Re: enable_scheduling docs? [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 02:47:34PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I've been trolling the wiki, and I am unable to find very much about
> enable_scheduling and, most importantly, what exactly it is I'm
> supposed to have configured to make this work reliably (? at all?).
> It appears a significant thing is to enable DKIM, but I can't tell
> whether that's DKIM for the parent domain, for the domain name itself,
> or what all. Also, how does this relate to the DKIM keys of the
> relying domain?

scheduling is the process of identifying a suitable time slot, sending
invitations to participants and receiving positive or negative replies -
so in the end you have set up a new event and you know who's coming.

Querying when potential participants may be available, and delivering
invitations and replies, can be done in several ways. Davical knows how
to do that internally to other users of the same server, and it has an
implementation for server-to-server communication (called iSchedule, and
not very widely used AFAK). It is the latter that $c->enable_scheduling
and the DKIM stuff is for. Delivering scheduling messages by email is
something that Davical can not yet do, unfortunately.

> What I'm _actually_ trying to do is to get events from a foreign but
> mostly terrible caldav server and put them in a local calendar, which
> I can then do useful things with. So clues that I'm chasing the wrong
> rabbit are also welcome.

I think what you are looking for is an external bind, that is,
http://some.server.example/cal/mostly_terrible.ics is regularly imported
into a local calendar in your namespace. Davical 1.1.5 has added a
convenient UI for that on the principal page ("Bindings to other
collections") and https://wiki.davical.org/index.php/External_Bind has
some details on how to do the same with earlier versions.

HTH,
Florian