Note that such a calendar update is not a request, it is more like a work order. (The boss allocated you to an event - you go there at the right time.) So there cannot be a confirm/reject step, and no email involved. Some of the users don't use computers much and certainly not email. The boss update their calendar, and on the next automatic sync the users iPhone (or whatever) is updated. It must be this simple, no user involvement needed, beyond looking at their phones to see what to do today.

The system is already working, but adding a bus trip manually to 10 calendars is backwards. I guess the caldav protocol itself aren't set up for adding one event into many calendars? But such repeated action is something the client sw should be able to do instead of the boss. So, do such sw exist already?

Helge Hafting

Re: A calendar client that can update several calendars in one operation? [ In reply to ]
I believe that so long as all calendars are on the same davical server,
using an invite will just schedule an event on the invitee's calendar
without the use of email.

The caveat with this is, at least on my system, is that there is a
setting I have to put in my config file ($c->enable_auto_schedule =
false;) in order to force thunderbird to send a mail for all invites, so
it needs to be true for the scheduling to work without mail. (I think,
not tested).

Re: A calendar client that can update several calendars in one operation? [ In reply to ]
I use an iOS client called "Week Calendar" that provides a few extra
features the default iOS client does not. One of the settings allows you
to toggle the ability to add an event to multiple calendars, which I
occasionally use. It works well, but I'm not sure about a desktop client.

Aidan Montare
aidan@aidanmontare.net
https://aidanmontare.net/
Legitimate emails from Aidan are signed using GPG. See
https://aidanmontare.net/contact/ for details.

Re: A calendar client that can update several calendars in one operation? [ In reply to ]
Scheduling would still require an invite/accept-step.

This looks like something that you should build yourself, but it should
not be to hard to make using the Sabre/DAV library for creating the .ics
file and CURL to PUT the .ics to DAViCal. The frontend can be as simple
as a form with a few text fields (title/location/description), a
datetime picker for both dtstart and dtend and a selectfield for the
calendars to be updated.

If not, changing the workflow into an invite/accept-workflow with the
employee seems like the more convenient way to go :)

HTH,
Vincent

On 2016-09-06 18:27, Bob Miller wrote:
> I believe that so long as all calendars are on the same davical server,
> using an invite will just schedule an event on the invitee's calendar
> without the use of email.
>
> The caveat with this is, at least on my system, is that there is a
> setting I have to put in my config file ($c->enable_auto_schedule =
> false;) in order to force thunderbird to send a mail for all invites,
> so
> it needs to be true for the scheduling to work without mail. (I think,
> not tested).
>
> On 2016-08-30 12:43 AM, Helge Hafting wrote:
>> automatic I set up DaviCal for a family business. Nice being able to
>> sync phones with PCs.
>>
>> But they have one specific requirement, and I wonder if a suitable
>> client sw exists:
>>
>> The boss (or an assistant) usually plans the week for everybody,
>> updating all their calendars directly. Currently, they do this using
>> iCal on a mac, or the lightning extension to thunderbird.
>>
>> The problem then, is that they schedule an event with 5-10 people, and
>> then they have to create the same event over and over in 5-10
>> calendars.
>>
>> Is there a client (web-based or linux based or mac based) where you
>> can create an event *once* and simply select which calendars it will
>> be added into?
>>
>> Note that such a calendar update is not a request, it is more like a
>> work order. (The boss allocated you to an event - you go there at the
>> right time.) So there cannot be a confirm/reject step, and no email
>> involved. Some of the users don't use computers much and certainly not
>> email. The boss update their calendar, and on the next automatic sync
>> the users iPhone (or whatever) is updated. It must be this simple, no
>> user involvement needed, beyond looking at their phones to see what to
>> do today.
>>

>> The system is already working, but adding a bus trip manually to 10
>> calendars is backwards. I guess the caldav protocol itself aren't set
>> up for adding one event into many calendars? But such repeated action
>> is something the client sw should be able to do instead of the boss.
>> So, do such sw exist already?
>>
>> Helge Hafting

Vincent Van Houtte