calendar called "Sales". Sales Group has salesrep1, salesrep2 salesrep3
as members. I want schedule a meeting on group calendar "sales"; And
attendees are salesrep1 and salesrep3. I want the "reminder" to only pop
up on salesrep1 & salesrep3 calendar client, is that possible?

any suggestions? are "reminders" client only? I can't really find much
information about it?

Thanks,
Motty

Re: reminders for attendees only on a group calendar - Davical + Thunderbird (lighting) [ In reply to ]
Hi Motty,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:49:39PM -0700, Motty Cruz wrote:
> Hello, I wonder if there is a feature or options to enable "reminders"
> for attendees only on a group calendar. For instance, I have a group
> calendar called "Sales". Sales Group has salesrep1, salesrep2 salesrep3
> as members. I want schedule a meeting on group calendar "sales"; And
> attendees are salesrep1 and salesrep3. I want the "reminder" to only pop
> up on salesrep1 & salesrep3 calendar client, is that possible?
>
> any suggestions? are "reminders" client only? I can't really find much
> information about it?

a reminder is a property of an event. Whether or not it is displayed
is controlled by the client. Lightning has a setting to disable (not
show) reminders on a calendar, but that affects all events of that
calendar.

But I'm not sure about having a "group calendar" - people can have
calendars, and resources like rooms or cars, but why would a group of
people (each with their own calendar) have a (another) calendar? When
three people want to meet, one creates an event and invites the other
two, and everybody sees their own events in their own calendar.

I think groups in DAViCal are primarily meant to facilitate the
management of access permissions.

Like resources, if you want to use group calendars to collect events on
a certain topic (say, holidays and other days of leave), you'd create an
event in your own calendar and then invite the appropriate group
calendar (or the other way round). You then see everybodys entries in
the group calendar, but receive reminders for your own calendar only.

Does that sound sensible?

Florian

Re: reminders for attendees only on a group calendar - Davical + Thunderbird (lighting) [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much for your reply Florian,

you're right, I actually have a resource name "Sales" (calendar); That
calendar "resource" is for a room where sales reps meet with each other
or with their clients. I also created a group name salesreps, that has
Read/Write access to resource "sales". Every member of salesreps group
can schedule a meeting on "sales" calendar. When the meeting is due,
everyone in group "salesreps" get a reminder even though only salesrep1
and salesrep3 are the only attendees for a meeting.

I hope I was able to articulate the problem am trying to solve. We were
using MS Exchange 2003, I guest my mindset is use to public calendars in
Exchange.

Thanks for your help! I appreciated it very much!

Re: reminders for attendees only on a group calendar - Davical + Thunderbird (lighting) [ In reply to ]
Hi Motty,

it seems to me you are trying to use the calendars against the concept
and that's why you don't find a solution.
Here is how we use is:
* Everyone has it's own calendar
* Every meeting room has it's own calendar.
When we schedule a meeting, we invite all attendees and in addition the
meeting room. That way all affected attendees (and only those) have a
reminder and in addition there is an overview whether the meeting room
is available at a specific time. We even use the same concept for mobile
projectors and pool cars.
This concept is independent from the software as imho all share the same
concept. Hope it helps!

Armin

The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
() No HTML/RTF in email
/\ No Word docs in email
Respect for open standards
http://arc.pasp.de/

Re: reminders for attendees only on a group calendar - Davical + Thunderbird (lighting) [ In reply to ]
I can confirm all of the below, but I'm not sure whether it addresses
the issue of the OP'er.

I know it is possible to create 'email lists (/groups)' in MS Outlook
and in nearly every email application having addressbook-functionality.
IIRC you can achieve the same behaviour with a central LDAP. In MS
Outlook however, you can also use these lists to send out a meeting
invite to all people in the email list - Outlook's calendar module will
then 'disassemble' the email list into all individual members of that
email list.

The above just confirms (I guess) that this is more of a client-side
feature then it is a server-feature. The OP'er is clearly confused by
the 'groups'-functionality of DAViCal, which is merely a concept that is
used for permissions and nothing else.

@OP'er: if you want to mimick the same behaviour, you should:
* Create a DAViCal group and set the correct permissions
* Create an email list in your client or in your centralised addressbook
* Keep the above in sync (manually or with a script)

Even with all of the above, however, it will not grant you the power to
set reminders for people. OOTH I don't know if this is something DAViCal
can do, but if it is possible, I reckon it won't be anything more than a
global setting, to set a reminder for every new event. Anything else
should be setup client-side.

Kr,
Vincent

Armin Fuerst schreef op 2016-03-21 08:31:
> [...]
>>>
>>> But I'm not sure about having a "group calendar" - people can have
>>> calendars, and resources like rooms or cars, but why would a group of
>>> people (each with their own calendar) have a (another) calendar? When
>>> three people want to meet, one creates an event and invites the other
>>> two, and everybody sees their own events in their own calendar.
>>>
>>> I think groups in DAViCal are primarily meant to facilitate the
>>> management of access permissions.
>>>
>>> Like resources, if you want to use group calendars to collect events
>>> on
>>> a certain topic (say, holidays and other days of leave), you'd create
>>> an
>>> event in your own calendar and then invite the appropriate group
>>> calendar (or the other way round). You then see everybodys entries in
>>> the group calendar, but receive reminders for your own calendar only.

Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 Dendermonde
T 052 52 06 05
T 052 77 90 05
F 052 52 06 46
W http://synergylaw.be

Re: reminders for attendees only on a group calendar - Davical + Thunderbird (lighting) [ In reply to ]
Thank you all for your help! However, I still have one lingering
question, my question is the following, If I create and event in my
calendar and invite sales room calendar would that event show up in
"Sales" room calendar? suppose I'm the person administering that
calendar (Sales) calendar room.

I have read this: http://www.davical.org/administration.php and
http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Main_Page

but I can't find answer to my questions, thanks for your help!
-Motty