Mailing List Archive

Issue: Shared tasks in 'resource' calendars
Hi everybody,

I have an issue with Davical, specifically, with the propagation of
shared tasks and I hope you can help me with your expertise.
Here are the key facts:

Server:
VPS, Debian Jessie, Davical 1.1.3, Apache 2.4, Postgres 9.4 (all from
repositories)

Clients:
1) Thunderbird 38 + Lightning 4 on Ubuntu 14.04
2) CalDAV-Synv 0.4.27 on Android 4.2

Davical Configuration:
One User "user1", one group "group1", one resource "shared1". user1 is
member of group1, group1 is granted R/W access to "shared1". Long-term
setup will include more users, all using "shared1" as shared calendar,
but for simplicity I reduced it to one user.

The problem:
The creation and propagation of EVENTS works from both clients and in
both calendars (i.e. user1's calendar and shared1's calendar), meaning
that I can create an event using any of the two client devices in any of
the two calendars and read/change it on the respective other device.
The described setup also works, when I create TASKS on any of the
devices in the user's calendar (the non-shared calendar). These tasks
are then forwarded to the respectively other device, no problem.
But here is the actual problem: once I create tasks in the shared
calendar (shared1's calendar), this task is not propagated to the other
device, i.e. the task is created but only shows up in the client that it
was created on.

Question:
Is there anything known about that issue? I've searched the internet but
I didn't come up with a potential solution apart for those described
below, which don't work. It would be great if that issue could be solved
with your help, since this would make Davical the perfect (now it's only
very good) calendar server for me. I suppose this is an issue of
Davical, not of the clients or the setup, but of course I might be
wring. If so, I apologize and would appreciate if you could point me
into a new direction.

Additional information:
- Based on internet research, I bound the shared1 calendar to user1's
account; no change.
- I granted the user direct R/W access the shared1 calendar, bypassing
the group. In my understanding groups only match permissions transiently
and it shouldn't make a difference, which is actually the case.
- I inspected the Postgres entries shortly. The differences in the
events created by the two clients, I noticed, are that tasks created by
client 1 carry timezone-related keywords in the description, while those
created by client 2 don't. I considered the clients not to adhere to the
same standard and thus being incompatible. However, sharing tasks works
using the private calendar, so this is not the reason.

Any help is appreciated. If you need more information, just let me know.

I thank you all in advance for your feedback!

Best, Denis

Re: Issue: Shared tasks in 'resource' calendars [ In reply to ]
Hi Denis,

Not sure if it will help, but you can try setting the default
permissions on the shared1 collection to all, then rely on the group
permissions to restrict access. I forget where I found that advice, but
when using lightning/thunderbird I have found it is often necessary in
order for lightning to properly read permissions for the collection or
user permissions to be wide open...