Mailing List Archive

CardDAV for Tunderbird
Hi all,

just wanted to share a new plugin for Thunderbird that has just been
brought to my attention. It's called Cardbook and brings CardDAV support
to Thunderbird: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/cardbook/

I've set up all my address books and it seems to work. It still can use
a cople of improvements, but it's a good start to get rid of the
limitations of the integrated address book and SOGo Connector.

cheers

Marten

--
Marten Gajda
Schandauer Straße 34

tel: +49 177 4427167
email: marten@dmfs.org
twitter: twitter.com/dmfs_org

VAT Reg. No.: DE269072391

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Marten Gajda wrote:
> just wanted to share a new plugin for Thunderbird that has just been
> brought to my attention. It's called Cardbook and brings CardDAV support
> to Thunderbird: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/cardbook/

incomptible w/seamonkey2.38:-(

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Am 09.11.2015 um 15:26 schrieb tom wible:
> Marten Gajda wrote:
>> just wanted to share a new plugin for Thunderbird that has just been
>> brought to my attention. It's called Cardbook and brings CardDAV support
>> to Thunderbird:
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/cardbook/
>
> incomptible w/seamonkey2.38:-(

I can ask the developer to add support for that.

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
FTR: I'd like to point out that I'm not the developer of this plugin and
that I'm not affiliated with him in any way. Some people may have
misinterpreted my message. I was just pretty excited that I'm able to
access my CardDAV account from Thunderbird again and I wanted to share this.
Also, I'd like to say again that this software is in an early stage and
there still are a couple of issues, but I'm pretty confident that these
will be fixed. The more users test it and report bugs to the developer,
the sooner this plugin will become more stable and usable.

Marten

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the info about the plugin. SoGo connector I'm using today
is far from perfect and practically dead project.

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]

Am 09.11.15 um 15:45 schrieb Josef Kufner:

Yes, Thank You, for your information.
I will test this PlugIn

> Thank you for the info about the plugin. SoGo connector I'm using
> today is far from perfect and practically dead project.
>

> Marten Gajda wrote, on 9.11.2015 15:38:
>> FTR: I'd like to point out that I'm not the developer of this
>> plugin and that I'm not affiliated with him in any way. Some
>> people may have misinterpreted my message. I was just pretty
>> excited that I'm able to access my CardDAV account from
>> Thunderbird again and I wanted to share this. Also, I'd like to
>> say again that this software is in an early stage and there still
>> are a couple of issues, but I'm pretty confident that these will
>> be fixed. The more users test it and report bugs to the
>> developer, the sooner this plugin will become more stable and
>> usable.
>>
>> Marten
>>
>> Am 06.11.2015 um 13:18 schrieb Marten Gajda:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> just wanted to share a new plugin for Thunderbird that has just
>>> been brought to my attention. It's called Cardbook and brings
>>> CardDAV support to Thunderbird:
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/cardbook/
>>>
>>> I've set up all my address books and it seems to work. It still
>>> can use a cople of improvements, but it's a good start to get
>>> rid of the limitations of the integrated address book and SOGo
>>> Connector.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Marten

- --------

Presto, an open source distributed SQL query engine for big data, initia
lly
> developed by Facebook, enables you to easily query your data on
> Hadoop in a more interactive manner. Teradata is also now providing
> full enterprise support for Presto. Download a free open source
> copy now.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=250295911&iu=/4140

- --
Gruß Michael

Wenn du verstehst, was du tust, wirst du nichts lernen

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
Thank's a great plugin (never get sogo working).

Just missing the postal adress for me, but it allow autcompletion and
that's the goal in thunderbird :)

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Btw, does the plugin have a repository somewhere (like github) ?
(I cannot find it on linked plugin page.)

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hi Marten

On 06.11.2015 13:18, Marten Gajda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just wanted to share a new plugin for Thunderbird that has just been
> brought to my attention. It's called Cardbook and brings CardDAV support
> to Thunderbird: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/cardbook/
>
> I've set up all my address books and it seems to work. It still can use
> a cople of improvements, but it's a good start to get rid of the
> limitations of the integrated address book and SOGo Connector.

Thanks for pointing us to that addon.

Any hints on how to transfer all addresses from any of my address books
to davical/CardDAV and make CardDAV available via this addon for
collected addresses?

Thanks
Lukas

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hello together!

I'm glad there is a new plugin that offers CARDDAV support for
Thunderbird! I'm a bit surprised though that so many people seem to have
problems with SoGo's Thunderbird Connector and were kept from using the
CARDDAV functionality DAViCal offers.

It's true that the last released version had a lot of problems but the
nightly version (always to be found here:
http://inverse.ca/downloads/extensions/nightly/) always worked very
reliably for me in several environments and received quite a few updates
over the time. Seemingly there was a new version released just recently
that includes those updates.

But again, I'm happy to see that there's an additional option now.

Cheers everyone,
Paul

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Am 09.11.2015 um 20:43 schrieb Josef Kufner:
> Btw, does the plugin have a repository somewhere (like github) ?
> (I cannot find it on linked plugin page.)
Not yet, but I think there will be one soon.

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Am 09.11.2015 um 21:13 schrieb Lukas Ruf:
> Thanks for pointing us to that addon.
>
> Any hints on how to transfer all addresses from any of my address books
> to davical/CardDAV and make CardDAV available via this addon for
> collected addresses?
You mean how to migrate contacts from the internal address book to
DAViCal? Afaik there is a Thunderbird-Plugin to export the internal
address book into a single vfc file. DAViCal has an option to import vcf
files into an address book collection. It should work but I've never
tried that.

I don't think that it's possible to set one of the Cardbook address
books as the target of automatically collected addresses.
Just ask the developer about it, maybe he can add this feature.

cheer

Marten

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

couple of notes:

Sogo connector worked and still works great for me.
I wonder from where to where you would like to export.

Normally, you would just create a new address book in Thunderbird (be it
local, CardDAV or whatever) and then just move of copy (via drag&drop)
all contacts over. I've done that many times.
Works from local-local, remote-local, local-remote and even remote-remote.

You can also pick an address book (again local or remote, whatever),
where your contacts are automatically collected to.
Go to Options->Options->Composition, Tab Adressing, check "Automatically
add outgoing email adresses [..]" and select any address book. Works for
me like a treat with sogo and therefore syncs across all devices.

Now Cardbook is separate from the Thunderbird addressbook.
Hence the above features do not work with Cardbook.

BUT:
You can export your contact from the Thunderbird Addressbook as VCard
and then import it into Cardbook as VCard.

I now have both sogo and cardbook installed in parallel. Works great too.

Cheers,
Ingo

Re: CardDAV for Tunderbird [ In reply to ]
Hi Ingo

On 10.11.2015 21:17, Ingo Ratsdorf wrote:
> Normally, you would just create a new address book in Thunderbird (be it
> local, CardDAV or whatever) and then just move of copy (via drag&drop)
> all contacts over. I've done that many times.
> Works from local-local, remote-local, local-remote and even remote-remote.
>
> You can also pick an address book (again local or remote, whatever),
> where your contacts are automatically collected to.
> Go to Options->Options->Composition, Tab Adressing, check "Automatically
> add outgoing email adresses [..]" and select any address book. Works for
> me like a treat with sogo and therefore syncs across all devices.
>
> Now Cardbook is separate from the Thunderbird addressbook.
> Hence the above features do not work with Cardbook.

Thanks for pointing out.

Best regards
Lukas