Mailing List Archive

Addressbook problems on iOS 9.1 (9.0)
Hello,

anyone else out there who run into problems with iOS 9 and davical
hosted addressbooks? I have iOS 9.1 public beta running on my iPhone.
Now when I try to update an photo of a contact, the contact's photo
disapears (it's cleared on the davical server). Don't know, if this
happen's with official 9.0 as i don't have a device running it.

It got two different experiences:

1) I had a davical server (and belonging awl) version about 1.1.2, dated
latest around May, 2013, updated via git (davical/awl) in 2013.
2) I actually updated davical and awl to the latest available ZIP from
gitlab (available on "Files" section). Runned "update-davical-database"
to get newest schema

Runnig iOS 9.1 against 1) and updating a contact photo on the iPhone,
the photo was cleared on the server, but the iOS client locally kept the
new picture, giving the illusion of a successful update. But checking
the contact with InfCloud-/CardDAV-Client, Contacts of OSX 10.10 showed
an empty picture.

After 2) changing an photo with iOS 9.1, the picture is still deleted
from the davical server, but immediately the iOS client get's the
"delete" back and the picture is also cleared locally on the iPhone.

Changing a photo with an other client (InfCloud, Contacts of OSX
10.10.5), the update is reflected on the iOS client. So reading the pic
from the server seems to work. I think, Apple again changed something in
the CalDav protocol handling.

There is also a problem editing contacts with the flag "it's a busyness
card". When changing such a contact with iOS 9, this flag get's lost and
the contact further is not handled as a busyness contact and is therefor
sorted by last and first name, not longer by the company name.

I reported both issues to the Apple beta team. Don't know, if they see
this as a bug or not. Maybe, OSX servers own caldav server supports iOS 9.

Best regards,
Rudolf
--

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya
Re: Addressbook problems on iOS 9.1 (9.0) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

not a DAViCal user, however those issues sound awefully familiar...

1) Contact photograph: Some of Apples software used to use TIFF as a
format for contact photographs. Almost all other clients only support
JPEG, hence several servers convert anything other than that to JPEG.
Not sure how DAViCal handles images... but that would be my starting
point: Check whethr iOS send TIFF data and what happens with it on the
server side.

2) business card:
In the past iOS and some other clients handled VCARDs with only a
company name and no first or last name as a business card. VCARD has no
flag for business card, sounds like some Apple "feature". I'd be sure
Apples own servers will support such features, but it's no standard.

Cheers,
Ingo

Re: Addressbook problems on iOS 9.1 (9.0) [ In reply to ]
Hello Ingo,

thank's for your answer.

to 1) I don't know, how i could figure out, what iOS sends. It seems
happy with the formats it receives (JPEG?) but storing my be the
problem. As davical server seems not to have very active development, i
have my thoughts, finding out the problem wouldn't have a effect for the
server software itself. I now tried baikal and i'm quiet happy with it.
Storing and reading contacts work out of the box, including contact photos.

to 2) It looks like the contact app of OSX is the only one who can set
this "flag". iOS don't have a option to mark a contact a "business
card". So Davical/Baikal silently honour the flag but iOS "kills" it
when saving a contact back. Not a great issue.

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya

Re: Addressbook problems on iOS 9.1 (9.0) [ In reply to ]
1) Suggest logging/debugging or browsing the database and look at the
stored data of one of those VCARDs.
2) Yup, I think so too.

Cheers,
Ingo