Mailing List Archive

Tasks App for iOS That'll Talk To DAViCal?
Hi All,

Started playing with ToDo/Tasks on our DAViCal calendar server. I've
got Marten Gajda's excellent CalDAV-Sync and Tasks apps running on my
Android devices, and I just got Ján Máté's CalDAVZap going on the
server.

But we have server people who use iThings. Is there an iOS app,
similar to Gajda's Tasks app, for iOS devices?

Thanks,
Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Tasks App for iOS That'll Talk To DAViCal? [ In reply to ]
On Sep 2, 2015, at 12:22 PM, Jim Seymour <jseymour@LinxNet.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Started playing with ToDo/Tasks on our DAViCal calendar server. I've
> got Marten Gajda's excellent CalDAV-Sync and Tasks apps running on my
> Android devices, and I just got Ján Máté's CalDAVZap going on the
> server.
>
> But we have server people who use iThings. Is there an iOS app,
> similar to Gajda's Tasks app, for iOS devices?

Yes, the Reminders app built in to iOS (and OSX) talks to any CalDAV server just fine.

it's configured in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" section of the system settings on iOS, add a CalDAV account as though you're adding a calendar and be sure to turn on Reminders (you can also just turn on the Calendars while you're there and use the built in Calendar app as well).

FWIW, the built in Contacts app on iOS (and OSX) also talks to DAViCal via the CardDAV protocol. No need for custom apps on iOS.

Peter
Re: Tasks App for iOS That'll Talk To DAViCal? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> On 03 Sep 2015, at 03:42, Peter Linss <davical@linss.com> wrote:
>
> On Sep 2, 2015, at 12:22 PM, Jim Seymour <jseymour@LinxNet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Started playing with ToDo/Tasks on our DAViCal calendar server. I've
>> got Marten Gajda's excellent CalDAV-Sync and Tasks apps running on my
>> Android devices, and I just got Ján Máté's CalDAVZap going on the
>> server.
>>
>> But we have server people who use iThings. Is there an iOS app,
>> similar to Gajda's Tasks app, for iOS devices?
>
> Yes, the Reminders app built in to iOS (and OSX) talks to any CalDAV server just fine.
>
> it's configured in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" section of the system settings on iOS, add a CalDAV account as though you're adding a calendar and be sure to turn on Reminders (you can also just turn on the Calendars while you're there and use the built in Calendar app as well).
>
> FWIW, the built in Contacts app on iOS (and OSX) also talks to DAViCal via the CardDAV protocol. No need for custom apps on iOS.

unfortunately Contacts.app on OS X has major limitations such as:

- only one addressbook is loaded => if you have 10 addressbook on the server, the interface will show you only one /first/ of them
- no support for delegation => you cannot use shared addressbooks
- very bad error handling => if something happens (network or any other error) the contact is not saved without any notice (it is displayed, but only during the current "session", if you reopen Contacts.app then the contact is nowhere)

JM
Re: Tasks App for iOS That'll Talk To DAViCal? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 10:31:00 +0200
Ján Máté <jan.mate@inf-it.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 03 Sep 2015, at 03:42, Peter Linss <davical@linss.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 2, 2015, at 12:22 PM, Jim Seymour <jseymour@LinxNet.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Started playing with ToDo/Tasks on our DAViCal calendar server.
[snip]
> >>... Is there an iOS app,
> >> similar to Gajda's [Android] Tasks app, for iOS devices?
> >
> > Yes, the Reminders app built in to iOS (and OSX) talks to any
> > CalDAV server just fine.

[snip]

> > FWIW, the built in Contacts app on iOS (and OSX) also talks to
> > DAViCal via the CardDAV protocol. No need for custom apps on iOS.
>
> unfortunately Contacts.app on OS X has major limitations such as:
>
> - only one addressbook is loaded => if you have 10 addressbook on the
> server, the interface will show you only one /first/ of them
> - no support for delegation => you cannot use shared addressbooks
> - very bad error handling => if something happens (network or any
> other error) the contact is not saved without any notice (it is
> displayed, but only during the current "session", if you reopen
> Contacts.app then the contact is nowhere)

Thanks for the feedback, Peter, Ján. I'll share it with the iHeads
at work :)

Do either of you (or anybody else on the list) have a more capable iOS
app they'd care to recommend?

Re: Tasks App for iOS That'll Talk To DAViCal? [ In reply to ]
> On Sep 3, 2015, at 4:31 AM, Ján Máté <jan.mate@inf-it.com> wrote:
>
> unfortunately Contacts.app on OS X has major limitations such as:

indeed it does as does apple's mobile ui: i just inserted a photo in an email and the keyboard moved off-screen...wtf?!?!

otoh, perhaps apple is leaving room for 3rd party apps, eh?-)