Mailing List Archive

SQL error "40P01" - ERROR: deadlock detected DETAIL: Process 31270 waits for ExclusiveLock on tuple
Hello everybody,

I have a bug/issue with a davical installation. I added the logs as
pastebins.

https://paste.debian.net/plainh/1f83668f
https://paste.debian.net/plainh/dfdc5b0f

When I add tasks and try to remove a few of them at the same time I am
getting deadlocks on the database and errors on the client side
(tb+lighting).

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/davical
DAViCal-Version: DAViCal/1.1.3; DB/1.2.11

What can be done about this problem? Is er a new Debian release
available that fixes the issue?

emily:~# su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database
The database is version 9.1 currently at revision 1.2.11.
No patches were applied.
Supported locales updated.
Updated view: dav_principal.sql applied.
CalDAV functions updated.
RRULE functions updated.
Database permissions updated.

I tried to update the database, but no changes with regards of the issue.

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong

SQL error "40P01" - ERROR: deadlock detected DETAIL: Process 31270 waits for ExclusiveLock on tuple [ In reply to ]
Hello everybody,

I have a bug/issue with a davical installation. I added the logs as
attachment.

When I make tasks and try to remove a few of them at the same time I am

SQL error "40P01" - ERROR: deadlock detected DETAIL: Process 31270 waits for ExclusiveLock on tuple [ In reply to ]
Hello everybody,

https://paste.debian.net/plainh/c9d18350
https://paste.debian.net/plainh/86eef667

Re: SQL error "40P01" - ERROR: deadlock detected DETAIL: Process 31270 waits for ExclusiveLock on tuple [ In reply to ]
On 03/09/15 14:55, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> I have a bug/issue with a davical installation. I added the logs as
> pastebins.
>
> https://paste.debian.net/plainh/c9d18350
> https://paste.debian.net/plainh/86eef667
>
> When I add tasks and try to remove a few of them at the same time I am
> getting deadlocks on the database and errors on the client side
> (tb+lighting).
>
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/davical
> DAViCal-Version: DAViCal/1.1.3; DB/1.2.11
>
> What can be done about this problem? Is er a new Debian release
> available that fixes the issue?
>
> emily:~# su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database
> The database is version 9.1 currently at revision 1.2.11.
> No patches were applied.
> Supported locales updated.
> Updated view: dav_principal.sql applied.
> CalDAV functions updated.
> RRULE functions updated.
> Database permissions updated.
>
> I tried to update the database, but no changes with regards of the issue.

Can somebody please have a look?

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong

Re: SQL error "40P01" - ERROR: deadlock detected DETAIL: Process 31270 waits for ExclusiveLock on tuple [ In reply to ]
Hi Jelle,

I can verify your findings with Postgres and Lightning. It also doesn't
only happen with tasks but with calendar entries as well. Sadly I can't
really offer you much help. I don't know if those Deadlocks appear
because of Lightning messing up the DELETE requests (e.g. I could
imagine they're being send truly synchronous) or if the mass deletion of
database objects is somewhat faulty on DAViCals side.. I'd rather expect
the first than the second though. Also note, that those Deadlocks,
despite the dramatic name, aren't truly critical - everything still gets
deleted as it should and no data is compromised at any point. It's just
Postgres' way of telling you that there are multiple, concurrent
transactions that each hold locks that the other wants.

That being said, it is rather alarming and, frankly, quite annoying from
a users point of view. I hope you'll get another answer that may hold
more (and more useful) background information on the matter.

Best,
Paul

Re: SQL error "40P01" - ERROR: deadlock detected DETAIL: Process 31270 waits for ExclusiveLock on tuple [ In reply to ]
Thank you Paul for the confirmation.

Apologies to the mailinglist for the duplicated messages that came
trough later, I expected them to be trashed, because the message size
was to big.

Could a davical developer take a look at this issue?

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong