Mailing List Archive

How to delete shared collections?
Hello!

I'm running DAViCal 1.1.3.1 on top of Debian Jessie and Apache 2.4.10.
I upgraded from Debian Squeeze (Apache 2.2.16) and DAViCal 0.9.9.4 taken
from upstream.

The main motivation was finally being able to delete calendars which had
been the primary topic of complaint of the users at the department I
work at.

Reading the changelogs for DAViCal, I was more than happy to read that
this feature was finally merged in version 1.0.0.0 and should
subsequently be available in the DAViCal version shipped in Debian
Jessie.

However, while it's actually possible to create and delete a personal
calendar, I still haven't found a way to achieve that using a shared
calendar. Even when a user is granted all possible privileges, they
still cannot delete the calendar they just created when it's a shared
one.

Am I missing something here or is it, in fact, not possible to delete
a calendar shared within a group?

Thanks,
Adrian

--
.''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org

Re: How to delete shared collections? [ In reply to ]
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz schreef op 2015-08-03 11:25:
> However, while it's actually possible to create and delete a personal
> calendar, I still haven't found a way to achieve that using a shared
> calendar. Even when a user is granted all possible privileges, they
> still cannot delete the calendar they just created when it's a shared
> one.

Hi John,

What do you mean with a 'shared calendar'? Is it:
* a personal calendar with permissions set up for others than the owner?
* a (shared) resource?

While I personally have no use for deleting calendars, and thus I didn't
test it, I would think that deleting a calendar should not be an issue
for a user. In that case, a bug should be filed at the GitLab repo.

Deleting a resource might be something that should not be deletable by a
regular user... A resource is supposed to be something like 'a
conference room', having no own events or tasks, but which should be
book-able by a user during his or hers event.

HTH,
Vincent

--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat

Re: How to delete shared collections? [ In reply to ]
Hi Vincent!

On 08/03/2015 02:23 PM, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> While I personally have no use for deleting calendars, and thus I didn't
> test it, I would think that deleting a calendar should not be an issue
> for a user. In that case, a bug should be filed at the GitLab repo.

I agree.

> Deleting a resource might be something that should not be deletable by a
> regular user... A resource is supposed to be something like 'a
> conference room', having no own events or tasks, but which should be
> book-able by a user during his or hers event.

We're the physics department of a larger university and thus, we have
several dozen work groups which connect to our DAViCal server to manage
their calendars.

These work groups are mapped to groups on the DAViCal servers. The users
can log in using the LDAP driver. Now, if someone, for example, the
professor of a group, decides to create a new calendar which is
solely to be used during a certain time (e.g. a conference), he
creates it in the groups principal page which also lists the
group members using the "Create Collection" function.

After a while, he might decide to get rid of the calendar because
it was intended for temporary purposes only. Now, when he returns
to the group's principal page, scrolls down and clicks the "Delete"
button next to the collection he previously created, nothing will
happen and the calendar will just remain there, despite him being
granted all privileges within the group but not being an administrator.

To delete the collection, the administrator has to login and delete
it instead.

Maybe I'm just overlooking something and this is supposed to be
handled differently, but I am not sure which is why I am asking :).

Thanks,
Adrian