Mailing List Archive

Complete Server Upgrade/Replacement: Copying Existing Database?
Hi There,

I'm replacing

Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
DAViCal 1.1.1
PostgreSQL 8.4.22

with

Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
DAViCal 1.1.3.1
PostgreSQL 9.3

It *looks* like I can simply dump my DAViCal database from the one
server and "restore" it to the other, as per a DAViCal backup/restore?

E.g. (as user postgres):

Old server

pg_dump -Fc davical >davical.pgdump

New server

pg_restore -Fc -d davical davical.pgdump

Since DAViCal is already running on the new server, it looks like I
first need to do, on the new server (again: as user postgres):

dropdb davical

createdb --owner davical_dba --encoding UTF8 --template template0 \
davical

?

Any "gotcha"s, doing this from a 1.1.1 to a 1.1.3.1 installation?

Thanks,
Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Complete Server Upgrade/Replacement: Copying Existing Database? [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour schreef op 2015-07-31 17:29:
> Hi There,
>
> I'm replacing
>
> Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
> DAViCal 1.1.1
> PostgreSQL 8.4.22
>
> with
>
> Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
> DAViCal 1.1.3.1
> PostgreSQL 9.3
>
> It *looks* like I can simply dump my DAViCal database from the one
> server and "restore" it to the other, as per a DAViCal backup/restore?

You could start by dumping and restoring to a new database with a
different name on the first server and comparing both databases, f.e. by
the solution suggested here:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/66662/compare-two-similar-postgres-databases-for-differences.

Another way would be to extract the data using the DAViCal web
application to an .ical-file, but I don't know if you can trust the
results of that function.

> E.g. (as user postgres):
>
> Old server
>
> pg_dump -Fc davical >davical.pgdump
>
> New server
>
> pg_restore -Fc -d davical davical.pgdump

If this is not correct, then I have been taking backups wrong for many
years now :/ (although I'm using pg_dump_all() )

> Since DAViCal is already running on the new server, it looks like I
> first need to do, on the new server (again: as user postgres):
>
> dropdb davical
>
> createdb --owner davical_dba --encoding UTF8 --template template0 \
> davical
>
> ?
>
> Any "gotcha"s, doing this from a 1.1.1 to a 1.1.3.1 installation?

I actually don't remember any upgrade-problems past version 1.0. Iirc, I
did a similar update recently by just extracting the newer DAViCal and
libawl-files to a new location, running the db-update script and
updating the Apache virtualhost to the new filelocations.

Mind you: I have no formal training in being a sysadmin, don't have
enough time to do things properly and have been known to f*** things up
now and then.

Kind regards and the best of luck to you!
Vincent

--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat