Mailing List Archive

Have No Clue What's Best To Install
Hi There,

Have a new Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS server I'm building. Thoroughly at a
loss to know what DAViCal package I should install.

$ apt-cache showpkg davical
1.1.1-1
(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
Reverse Depends:
Dependencies:
1.1.1-1 - debconf (2 1.0.32) php5-pgsql (0 (null)) postgresql-client (2
8.1) libawl-php (2 0.53-1~) libawl-php (3 0.54) libdbd-pg-perl (0
(null)) libyaml-perl (0 (null)) postgresql (2 8.3)

Or grab 1.1.3.1 from somewhere? Use git (never have, before).

The server this new one's replacing is running 1.1.1-1 and I'll need to
port over all the existing user data.

Meanwhile ISTR there is a bunch of recommended patches? ISTR patching
the running version I have, but, apparently, I made no notes :(

Looking for some guidance. This is a production server, so I'm *not*
looking for bleeding edge.

Thanks,
Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Have No Clue What's Best To Install [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour schreef op 2015-07-27 17:17:
> Hi There,
>
> Have a new Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS server I'm building. Thoroughly at a
> loss to know what DAViCal package I should install.
>
> $ apt-cache showpkg davical
> 1.1.1-1
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
> Reverse Depends:
> Dependencies:
> 1.1.1-1 - debconf (2 1.0.32) php5-pgsql (0 (null)) postgresql-client (2
> 8.1) libawl-php (2 0.53-1~) libawl-php (3 0.54) libdbd-pg-perl (0
> (null)) libyaml-perl (0 (null)) postgresql (2 8.3)
>
> Or grab 1.1.3.1 from somewhere? Use git (never have, before).
>
> The server this new one's replacing is running 1.1.1-1 and I'll need to
> port over all the existing user data.
>
> Meanwhile ISTR there is a bunch of recommended patches? ISTR patching
> the running version I have, but, apparently, I made no notes :(
>
> Looking for some guidance. This is a production server, so I'm *not*
> looking for bleeding edge.

Version 1.1.3.1 is in Debian stable, so that guarantees that it is not
bleeding edge :)

Running flawlessly on 3 production machines of mine. You'll need this
latest version if any of your users are using recent Apple devices for a
client. Of course, you should do some testing on your own and not take
my word for granted...

Kr,
Vincent
--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat

Re: Have No Clue What's Best To Install [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:34:59 +0200
Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:

[snip]

> Version 1.1.3.1 is in Debian stable, so that guarantees that it is
> not bleeding edge :)
[snip]

Sounds like a winner, to me. Now: How do I get it? *My* distro says
the latest is 1.1.1-1. No problem. I'm comfortable with tarballs,
but...

DAViCal's download page says:

Tar archives

DAViCal is not a compiled package, so there is generally very
little to be gained from installing from source, however you can do
this by downloading the relevant .tar.gz files (both DAViCal and
AWL) from the above location.

Except there's no "above location" mentioned, anywhere, save git
references.

Re: Have No Clue What's Best To Install [ In reply to ]
Hi Jim

> [snip]
>>
>> Version 1.1.3.1 is in Debian stable, so that guarantees that it is
>> not bleeding edge :)
> [snip]
>
> Sounds like a winner, to me. Now: How do I get it? *My* distro says
> the latest is 1.1.1-1. No problem. I'm comfortable with tarballs,
> but…

Davical 1.1.3.1 Package:
https://packages.debian.org/fr/jessie/davical <https://packages.debian.org/fr/jessie/davical>

Debian STABLE (Debian 8.1 was released June 6th, 2015. Debian 8.0 was initially released on April 26th, 2015.)
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ <https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/>

Regards

Adrien
Re: Have No Clue What's Best To Install [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour schreef op 2015-07-28 21:25:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:34:59 +0200
> Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Version 1.1.3.1 is in Debian stable, so that guarantees that it is
>> not bleeding edge :)
> [snip]
>
> Sounds like a winner, to me. Now: How do I get it? *My* distro says
> the latest is 1.1.1-1. No problem. I'm comfortable with tarballs,
> but...
>
> DAViCal's download page says:
>
> Tar archives
>
> DAViCal is not a compiled package, so there is generally very
> little to be gained from installing from source, however you can do
> this by downloading the relevant .tar.gz files (both DAViCal and
> AWL) from the above location.
>
> Except there's no "above location" mentioned, anywhere, save git
> references.

You might want to try installing the Debian packages from stable:
davical and libawl-php (ooth)

From the past I remember having downloaded the latest stable branch from
git, but I never used that method to start from scratch (i.e. the
database was already created during an earlier install)

HTH,

Re: Have No Clue What's Best To Install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 07:31:05 +0200
Adrien Malgoyre <adrien.malgoyre@osupytheas.fr> wrote:

> Hi Jim
> >
> > [snip]
> >>
> >> Version 1.1.3.1 is in Debian stable, so that guarantees that it is
> >> not bleeding edge :)
> > [snip]
> >
> > Sounds like a winner, to me. Now: How do I get it? *My* distro
> > says the latest is 1.1.1-1. No problem. I'm comfortable with
> > tarballs, but…
>
> Davical 1.1.3.1 Package:
> https://packages.debian.org/fr/jessie/davical
> <https://packages.debian.org/fr/jessie/davical>

Thanks, Adrien! Got it, and the referenced libawl-php package, as well.
Installed, configured and it's alive :)

I'll post my next question as a separate thread.

Regards,