Mailing List Archive

Debian install 2015-05-10
Good Day
I tired many variations on trying to install this however my postgresql
foo is terrible so I have the following errors.
su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh

DBI connect('dbname=davical','davical_dba',...) failed: FATAL: Peer
authentication failed for user "davical_dba"
at /usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database line 244. Can't
connect to database davical
at /usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database line 244.
* * * * ERROR * * * *
The database administration utility failed. This may be due to database
permissions for the davical_dba user, or because the Perl DBD::Pg or
YAML libraries are not available.

Check that your pg_hba.conf allows the davical_dba user to connect to
the database (and make sure you've reloaded PostgreSQL since changing
that).

Also see: http://wiki.davical.org/w/Install_Errors/No_Perl_YAML

These are installed

/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.4-main.log

2015-05-10 13:10:45 EDT [2126-1] davical_dba@davical LOG: provided
user name (davical_dba) and authenticated user name (postgres) do not
match 2015-05-10 13:10:45 EDT [2126-2] davical_dba@davical FATAL: Peer
authentication failed for user "davical_dba" 2015-05-10 13:10:45 EDT
[2126-3] davical_dba@davical DETAIL: Connection matched pg_hba.conf
line 90: "local all
all peer" 2015-05-10 13:10:49 EDT
[2174-1] davical_dba@davical LOG: provided user name (davical_dba) and
authenticated user name (postgres) do not match 2015-05-10 13:10:49 EDT
[2174-2] davical_dba@davical FATAL: Peer authentication failed for
user "davical_dba" 2015-05-10 13:10:49 EDT [2174-3] davical_dba@davical
DETAIL: Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 90: "local
all all peer"

/etc/postgresql/9.4/main/pg_hba.conf

# Database administrative login by Unix domain socket
local all postgres peer

# TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD

local all all peer
local davical davical_app trust
local davical davical_dba trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5

postgresql:Installed: 9.4+167
davical:Installed: 1.1.3.1-1
Distribution - Debian Testing in a LXC container

Thanks
Geordie

Re: Debian install 2015-05-10 [ In reply to ]
Hi Geordie,

As per:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

" The first record with a matching connection type, client address,
requested database, and user name is used to perform authentication.
There is no "fall-through" or "backup": if one record is chosen and the
authentication fails, subsequent records are not considered."

> /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/pg_hba.conf
>
> # Database administrative login by Unix domain socket
> local all postgres peer
>
> # TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local all all peer
> local davical davical_app trust
> local davical davical_dba trust

So Local/All/All/Peer is a match that fails, so the subsequent records
are not considered. At least that is where I would start...

Re: Debian install 2015-05-10 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 10 May 2015 16:41:23 -0700
Bob Miller <bob@computerisms.ca> wrote:

> Hi Geordie,
>
> As per:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>
> " The first record with a matching connection type, client address,
> requested database, and user name is used to perform authentication.
> There is no "fall-through" or "backup": if one record is chosen and
> the authentication fails, subsequent records are not considered."
>
> > /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/pg_hba.conf
> >
> > # Database administrative login by Unix domain socket
> > local all postgres peer
> >
> > # TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS
> > METHOD
> >
> > # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> > local all all peer
> > local davical davical_app trust
> > local davical davical_dba trust
>
> So Local/All/All/Peer is a match that fails, so the subsequent
> records are not considered. At least that is where I would start...

Hi Bob
Yes that did the trick and it is stated in Davical install instructions
and yes I read it and yes I placed it in the wrong spot Doh

Thanks for the heads up and the read.

Geordie