Mailing List Archive

A few newbie questions.
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to run conserver to switches on multiple floors of a
building. I'll be using Cat 5 wiring between a Cisco AS2511-RJ and the
switch console ports. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the
maximum distance that the serial signal will travel over ethernet before it
needs to be boosted and if boosting is even possible.

Also, I'm going to need to change the config file to show the correct names
of the systems connected to conserver. Some of the systems are Sun boxes.
What's the best way to make these changes without sending BREAK to the Sun
boxes.

Finally, does anybody know which version of IOS for the Cisco AS2511-RJ I
need so that a console reboot won't send BREAK?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Scott