Mailing List Archive

Question about limiting rate of conserver output
Hello,

I am writing because I would like to limit the output conserver writes to disk to a configurable amount per second, say like a serial line.

My application captures messages from devices that can send output as fast as possible over a network and the resulting log files are larger than the storage available.

I don't think a feature to limit conserver logs this is in the current code, correct?

Could you suggest what part of the code to change? Even better, has somebody already solved my problem?

Thanks!

Re: Question about limiting rate of conserver output [ In reply to ]
> I am writing because I would like to limit the output conserver
> writes to disk to a configurable amount per second, say like a
> serial line.

So are you wanting to discard output and just write every third line
or something? Just slowing down the output isn't going to address the
problem here, which is too small space for logs.

> My application captures messages from devices that can send output
> as fast as possible over a network and the resulting log files are
> larger than the storage available.

The problem is the storage size, not the devices. How will slowing
down those devices make things work better?

> I don't think a feature to limit conserver logs this is in the
> current code, correct?

> Could you suggest what part of the code to change? Even better, has
> somebody already solved my problem?

How about using the 'logfilemax' parameter from conserver.cf (see the
man page) and then have a cronjob which copies old log files over the
network to another system with more disk space.

Also, look at the 'timestamp' option, since you probably want to turn
that off as well.

John
RE: Question about limiting rate of conserver output [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Thanks for replying.

> So are you wanting to discard output and just write every third line or
> something? Just slowing down the output isn't going to address the
> problem here, which is too small space for logs.

The underlying problem is the service writing out too many errors. I am the guy in charge of fixing it.
A sustained message storm broke past a few protection mechanisms of log rotating and disk space monitoring over several days finally caused problems in other systems.
Limiting the rate could offer additional protection.

> How about using the 'logfilemax' parameter from conserver.cf (see the man
> page) and then have a cronjob which copies old log files over the network
> to another system with more disk space.

Effectively I want "logfilemax" that throws away messages in case of a sustained message storm.
I prefer throwing away messages because they tend to be repeated anyway. The system will be fixed eventually and the service restarted.
Logging can continue from where it left off.

There is a cronjob rotating log files at midnight already. I did not realise there are similar facilities in conserver.

Ronaldo