Mailing List Archive

Syslog vs. fifo
Hi,

* Problem:
- We want all console logs on a central server for:
. easy centralized access
. activity monitoring (log analyzer)
- preferrably with one file per console

* Our current solution:
- conserver runs on all conservers, using '-U/path/to/fifo'
- syslog-ng reads from that fifo and sends data to centralized log server
after prefixing "by-console/" to progname
- centralized log server runs syslog-ng, which handles the analyzer and
the split back to seperate files (e.g. '/path/to/log/by-console/serverXY')

This solution has served us well, but has the following major drawback:
when multiple consoles are generating output, they sometimes get mixed up in
the fifo and syslog fails in separating them (matching string "by-console/...").
Also if at the same time a slash character is output by chance by one of the
console, syslog-ng creates a subdir, etc.

I'm open for suggestions on how to improve this, and also wondering if
syslog support is planned, which would certainly help a lot.

Cheers