Mailing List Archive

expanding host names
I'm trying to consolidate my various console technologies with conserver. I have Cycla^H^H^H^H^HAvocent AlterPath CS48, Digi TS and a few others for concentrators. Then I have HP iLO in various versions as well as Oracle's ILOM and XSCF. I'm sure there are more things I could integrate with this software and I'll be expanding that as time goes by.

I've got the various concentrators set up pretty much and that appears to work fine. I might tune a script or value here and there, but largely it works very well. The issue comes up when I try to connect to the "on-board" service processors on some of the systems. We tend to name those ports with a basename of the hostname, then a dash "-" and an extension. Currently this extension isn't completely harmonized, but typically a host name could look like "hostname-lom", "hostname-ilo", "hostname-r".

What I'd like to do is to set up a default for each of the different service processors, something like this:

default hp-ilo {
type exec;
exec ssh Administrator@&;
initcmd "/opt/conserver/lib/ilo-console"; #<-- this is an expect script that starts the virtual serial port
}

default xscf {
type exec;
exec ssh sysadmin@&;
initcmd "/opt/conserver/lib/xscf-console"; #<-- also an expect script that connects the console
}

console dasher { include hp-ilo; }
console blitzen { include hp-ilo; host blitzen-r }
console comet { include xscf; }

What I'd like to do within those defaults is to set something up that appends "-ilo" for hp-ilo and "-lom" for xscf, such that the default is to expand "dasher" to connect to "dasher-ilo" and "comet" to "comet-lom". Is this possible? Also looking at "blitzen", I wish to override that default with a custom host name as I understand that the `aliases' keyword is the inverse of I want to do. I want to force the conversion of the base name, not allow an additional name.

I'm not very savvy with the configuration itself so I apologize if I am explaining this in a confusing manner.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you for the very versatile software.

Sincerely,

-Alex
Re: expanding host names [ In reply to ]
Here's your stuff with the bits I think you're missing...

default hp-ilo {
type exec;
exec "ssh Administrator@&-ilo";
execsubst &=cs;
initcmd "/opt/conserver/lib/ilo-console"; #<-- this is an expect script that starts the virtual serial port
}

default xscf {
type exec;
exec "ssh sysadmin@&-xscf";
execsubst &=cs;
initcmd "/opt/conserver/lib/xscf-console"; #<-- also an expect script that connects the console
}

console dasher { include hp-ilo; }
console blitzen { include hp-ilo; }
console comet { include xscf; }

That makes an ssh connection to dasher-ilo, blitzen-ilo, and
commet-xscf when you connect to the non-dashed console names. Hope
that's what you were shooting for.

Bryan