message at
/var/log/conserver as
conserver: out of memory
[Thu Feb 10 15:53:08 2011] conserver (31728): child pid 31736: exit(69),
shutting down
[Thu Feb 10 15:53:08 2011] conserver (31728): terminated

I checked the usage of memory and found it's still more than required
still no in use.
Anything I can overcome or work around the problem?

Thanks a lot
Alfred Chau
ITSC
HKUST

Re: Consever crash and teminated with "out of memory" in conserver log [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:03:50PM +0800, Alfred Chau wrote:
> I'm using CentOS release 5 (Final) with 4G physical memory. I have been
> using Consever for two years. Recenty, Conserver crashed frequency with
> message at
> /var/log/conserver as
> conserver: out of memory

How many consoles does your server handle, and of what type?

In the past I've had memory leaks on a conserver handling many (hundreds)
"exec" consoles. The issue seemed to be related to ipmitool, and has
disappeared after upgrading.

Re: Consever crash and teminated with "out of memory" in conserver log [ In reply to ]
On 14 February, 2011 - Fabien Wernli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:03:50PM +0800, Alfred Chau wrote:
> > I'm using CentOS release 5 (Final) with 4G physical memory. I have been
> > using Consever for two years. Recenty, Conserver crashed frequency with
> > message at
> > /var/log/conserver as
> > conserver: out of memory
>
> How many consoles does your server handle, and of what type?
>
> In the past I've had memory leaks on a conserver handling many (hundreds)
> "exec" consoles. The issue seemed to be related to ipmitool, and has
> disappeared after upgrading.

We run currently 985 various consoles connected to conserver.

All exec consoles get a memory overhead of about 0.5 mb for the
dash-shell wrapping the exec. Would be about twice if it were bash.

SSH-based consoles ( ilo, ras, ilom, cyclades .. ) is about 2.5 mb each
for buffers etc.

ipmitool-based is a bit more trickey. I have done some tweeking with
ipmitool to get rid of some redicolus memory leaks[1], but there are some
left. The one's that doesn't leak is between 1.6 mb to 1.8 mb, but the
ones that still has leaks is between 14-16 mb after 12 days running.

All this ends up with a memory footprint of about 3.2 gb.

Have you checked what your memory footprint is when it runns? do you
have any memory limits applied to your conserver? OutOfMem() is may get
called on a number of places in the code, so without a stacktrace its
impossible to diagnose this any further.

1. http://www.mail-archive.com/ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01471.html
--
Anton Lundin +46702-161604